Bulk import SVGs to Shape Markers and add to .stylx?

Jump to solution
09-28-2021 09:30 PM
caleb-thomas-smith
New Contributor II

Hi all!

I have a symbol dictionary that I would like to import to Pro and create a shareable .stylx file. I have all 2,325 symbols (wayyy too many to do manually!) as individual SVG files, and I've been trying for hours to find a way to bulk import these, instead of doing it manually. This post seemed promising for a while, but then I realized that it required the actual symbol image to be in Pro already.

Does anyone have any experience doing something like this? Or do you know of a way to do this through ArcPy or something similar? I think that part of the complicating factor is because SVGs become CIMSymbols (?), but I haven't been able to find anything about conversion.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielStephen
Esri Contributor

Hi Caleb,

This can be accomplished with an add-in for ArcGIS Pro developed with the ArcGIS Pro SDK for .NET. I've uploaded a simple add-in on ArcGIS Online that might work for you in this case:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c25ab2da6ae343af9acc632120c7cf01

Instructions for how to install and use the add-in are included on that page. It took about 5 minutes to import around 1300 svg files when I tested it. Let me know if you have questions! 

If you're not familiar with the ArcGIS Pro SDK, here's a good tutorial to get started. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
caleb-thomas-smith
New Contributor II

@ShanaBritt @AubriKinghorn, is there anyone at Esri that might be able to help? Or should I just contact support directly?

0 Kudos
DanielStephen
Esri Contributor

Hi Caleb,

This can be accomplished with an add-in for ArcGIS Pro developed with the ArcGIS Pro SDK for .NET. I've uploaded a simple add-in on ArcGIS Online that might work for you in this case:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c25ab2da6ae343af9acc632120c7cf01

Instructions for how to install and use the add-in are included on that page. It took about 5 minutes to import around 1300 svg files when I tested it. Let me know if you have questions! 

If you're not familiar with the ArcGIS Pro SDK, here's a good tutorial to get started. 

caleb-thomas-smith
New Contributor II

Hey Daniel,

This is amazing, thank you SO much! I'll let you know if I have any questions, but it seems pretty self explanatory. 

Thanks again!!

0 Kudos
caleb-thomas-smith
New Contributor II

Hey Daniel,

One quick question - I installed the add-in, and I'm now getting this error message:

addin issue.PNG

Is there a way to roll it back to 2.8?

DanielStephen
Esri Contributor

Oops! Yep, I'll fix that and update the add-in.

caleb-thomas-smith
New Contributor II

Awesome, thanks so much!

0 Kudos
JaneHogben
New Contributor III

Hi Daniel, we are struggling with about 1000 SVG to import as well. Would it be easy for you to update this add-in to work with Pro 3.0?

JamesPoeschel
New Contributor III

It looks like someone uploaded  the .esriAddinX file for this for version 3.0 on their github and it seems to be working for v3.1 as well. 

You can find it here:
carto-code-samples/import-svgs-to-style: Imports a folder of SVG files into an ArcGIS Pro style (git...

0 Kudos
JamesPoeschel
New Contributor III

Hi Daniel, thank you so much for sharing this.

I am also interested in the Pro 3.0/ 3.1 compatibility for this add-in. Is it easy to update the code or share a link to a GitHub with the visual code used to create the plug-in in visual studio?