Blurry basemap in Pro layout view

04-23-2018 09:38 AM
TheodoreF
Occasional Contributor II

In ArcGIS Pro layout view, my OS Mastermap WMS layer appears very blurry. I need it at 1:1250 scale but it looks like this:

I need the image to be crisp and sharp. The exported image/pdf also displays blurry basemaps.

Same problem when using the open basemaps supplied in Pro.

When in Data view, these basemaps are nice and clear when zoomed in.

20 Replies
GregoryBalzer
New Contributor

I messed with all the video settings - hardware, software, antialiasing, no change. BUT when I switched my active Portal from our ArcGIS server to arcgis online, the basemaps look beautiful again. Not sure what this all means. Maybe arcgis online has more robust servers and/or higher resolution base maps?

0 Kudos
pkorst_coa
New Contributor III

Experiencing the same issue.  Orthophotography is acceptably clear in the map window but becomes unacceptably blurred in the layout window and when sharing\printing from layout.

MAPWINDOW.jpg

LAYOUTWINDOW.jpg

ESRI please help.  😩

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I did find an ENH-000150703 request - "ArcGIS Pro is drawing the level of detail for the scale of the layout. The users' expectation is that the application should request the highest LOD. That request would be a large number of tiles AND would change the appearance of the map for some services."

This is currently under review by the ArcGIS Pro Development team and has been observed in the "World Imagery", "Imagery Hybrid", and "Firefly Hybrid Imagery" basemaps in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3 and 3.0.  Hopefully more to come in the ArcGIS Pro 3.1 release this year!

0 Kudos
arcwills
New Contributor II

sorry for the bad new guys but this is an email i got.  I was one of the "requesters" for ENH-000150703.

Bug fixes are addressed in upcoming releases or general patches, or they may be addressed as ad-hoc fixes. Enhancement requests are implemented in upcoming releases.

Updates have been made to the following defect which you are associated with:
ENH-000150703 - Need improvements in ArcGIS Pro to display a better quality basemaps in its maps and layouts.

Additional Information: ArcGIS Pro is drawing the level of detail for the scale of the layout. The user\'s expectation is that the application should request the highest LOD. That request would be a large number of tiles AND would change the appearance of the map for some services.

0 Kudos
JeanetteHarlow1
New Contributor III

Boo!  This is disappointing!

0 Kudos
ErikJohnson8
New Contributor

The only thing that's worked for me is using a custom page size for the layout and doubling or tripling the height and width. Now I have to adjust the size of all the map icons, which is very frustrating.

0 Kudos
JosephRigley
New Contributor III

Glad to hear this is on the table, but the resolution of this issue should not necessarily require any additional tiles and especially should *NOT* change the content of the map. It simply needs to match the resolution of the output (PDF, JPG, etc) to what is displayed in the application.

JessicaMorrissey1
New Contributor

I have also been having this issue for some time now. The only workaround that I have found works for me personally is by adding the basemap in from ArcGIS Online with in Add Data, bringing in one I have saved on my portal, or bringing in outside ortho imagery. It would still be really great to use the provided basemaps and not jump through all these hoops. 

arcwills
New Contributor II

I'm going to give this a try.  This is really frustrating

0 Kudos
arcwills
New Contributor II

I know this is an old post but i've just exported a PDF and unchecked the box "Output as Image" and now my lines are not blurry.  Not sure if this is the fix you are looking for but it worked for me.