Blurry basemap in Pro layout view

04-23-2018 09:38 AM
TheodoreF
Occasional Contributor II

In ArcGIS Pro layout view, my OS Mastermap WMS layer appears very blurry. I need it at 1:1250 scale but it looks like this:

I need the image to be crisp and sharp. The exported image/pdf also displays blurry basemaps.

Same problem when using the open basemaps supplied in Pro.

When in Data view, these basemaps are nice and clear when zoomed in.

21 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Maybe you are suffering from Pro making things look better than they really are...

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/projects/drawing-behavior-in-arcgis-pro.htm

check out the image there ( features such as antialiasing to improve appearance). Could be the resolution is not as good as it appears,.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you resolve the resolution issue or was it as suspected?

0 Kudos
TheodoreF
Occasional Contributor II

No I can't improve it at all. All my display settings are set to highest quality in Pro options. But that shouldn't affect the output PDFs I export anyway.

For reference here is a close up of an exported PDF map:

Same blurriness at 96, 250, or even 500dpi

Here is what the basemap looks like in Data view (albeit zoomed in to 1:500 scale, but this is the crispness I'm after)

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The printed image is correct... what you see onscreen has been improved by the video drivers as per my link

Shauna-RaeBrown
Occasional Contributor

I'm having the same problem with the World Imagery.  The blurriness is TERRIBLE.  This issue has NOT been resolved!

JohnGaiot
Occasional Contributor

I would argue the printed image is not correct. I would say it's more related to the rendering capability of Pro/ArcMap when trying to handle projections and maybe scale. Logic might dictate that images would appear at their best in their native projection, but oddly that's not the case. Using the ESRI World Imagery in its native WGS 84 Web Mercator projection, the image appears blurry exactly like Theodore's example above. The blurry phenomenon happens at various scales. For example, it's blurry at 1:8000 (and coarser scales) and seems best when viewed at 1:6000. However, when I change the map projection to NAD 83 CSRS UTM Zone 17N, it appears clear within a larger range of scales (between 1:3000 and 1:10000). Note I was able to replicate this in traditional ArcMap Desktop 10.3.1 (I know.. ancient!) as well. So this rendering issue does not seem to be platform specific.

Perhaps it could be the graphics card?? My specs are the following although I personally think it's still a pretty good card:

https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/design-visualization/documents/75509_DS_NV_Quadro...

JosephRigley
New Contributor III

"...the printed image is not correct. I would say it's more related to the rendering capability of Pro/ArcMap when trying to handle projections and maybe scale...this rendering issue does not seem to be platform specific." 

Agree, and this remains an issue in 2021 for both apps. Setting the map projection to the basemap's native scale and maximizing output resolution do help sometimes, at the cost of a bloated output file that requires post-processing in 3rd party apps to reduce the bloat without dunking the quality. Almost every time I attempt to use ESRI World Topo, end user: 'can we make the background less blurry?'

ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

This is really bad.  Has anybody found a solution?  None of the stock basemaps (map --> basemaps) export to PDF to a professional presentation quality.  Even taking vector layers from Living Atlas or Portal render well when exporting to PDF.  USGS National Map for instance.  I thought I'd solved this setting the map to Web Mercator WGS 84, but nope.  Any workarounds or solutions?  Thanks.

GregoryBalzer
New Contributor

Here's a clue. I had a crystal clear base map. I changed my coordinate system, the map refreshed, and now everything looks "soft". I tried setting things back but no change. 

0 Kudos