Select to view content in your preferred language

Blurry basemap in Pro layout view

04-23-2018 09:38 AM
TheodoreF
Frequent Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro layout view, my OS Mastermap WMS layer appears very blurry. I need it at 1:1250 scale but it looks like this:

I need the image to be crisp and sharp. The exported image/pdf also displays blurry basemaps.

Same problem when using the open basemaps supplied in Pro.

When in Data view, these basemaps are nice and clear when zoomed in.

25 Replies
AliRezaShahvaran
New Contributor

This is really frustrating. This topic was posted nearly 6 years ago, and so far, the issue has not been addressed. Just to complement the previous reply, this reduced quality affects both vector and raster basemaps in the inset maps. I really hope ESRI reconsiders implementing some fixes or solutions in the newer releases.

DerekMStrout
Frequent Contributor

I came looking for info on the issue of vector basemap resolution in layouts and exports, and it seems to be related to the OP's issue with raster basemaps?

I see the logic of not wanting to burden the system with a ton of tiles, but while the export may look fine (geometry generalizations are imperceptible) at 100%, if the final product is a PDF that can easily be zoomed to 1600%, I'd love it if the features (trails, roads, parks) didn't look all wonky without having to reconstruct a basemap with individual feature layers.

0 Kudos
calebwam
New Contributor

One solution I found that is a bit manual is if you are able to download your aerial locally (eg GeoJPEG or GeoTIFF) and import it into your Pro environment export it as a layout it will come out as high quality when zoomed in. 

0 Kudos
PatrickDieter
New Contributor

I have tested this out with the following test, and I can confirm it does come out as high quality when zoomed in.

0. Add imagery webservice
1. Make layout in 1:3,800 scale. Zoom in (around 1:300). Image is pixelated compared to map view at 1:300.

vs

0. Download the same imagery
1. Create layout at 1:3,800 scale. Zoom in. Image is identical to image in map view.

The problem I'm having now is the tiles I downloaded are not as nice as what the webservice pulls in. There's a visible seam, the saturation is different, etc... Is there a way to simply export the full resolution from the webservice directly?

0 Kudos
JochenSchubert
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

As you all know this issue hasn't been resolved and it's been frustrating us all for years now. I've reached out to Esri technical support and they gave me a disappointing answer about this issue. The tech I corresponded with suggested I submit a feature request. Getting kudos on this request may get developers to look at the issue.  Are you all willing to give kudos to this request?

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/sharper-basemaps/idi-p/1534789

Thank you!

JosephRigley
Regular Contributor

Added my kudo but not holding my breath. Truth is I'm hoping to be out of the ESRI desktop stack completely in the next 5 years. Having to work in Pro is breaking me.

0 Kudos