Select to view content in your preferred language

Exporting to EMF from ArcGIS Pro comes out rasters not vectors output

12-24-2023 08:27 PM
ThaoNDP
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to export an EMF file from ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1 as vectors to be able to add to an MS Word document and then do some label edits on the text boxes of the picture. However, the layouts I export to EMF from ArcGIS Pro are currently coming out rasters, not the vector format as I exported from ArcMap 10.8.2. ArcMap can help me complete this task very well, but ArcGIS Pro still cannot. Do you have any advice on my case? Maybe I was missing some configurations on the export tool or the current ArcGIS Pro version has not supported this feature yet.

Thank you very much for any support from you guys!

Best,

Thao Nguyen

5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you following this?

Export to EMF—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ThaoNDP
New Contributor III

Hi @DanPatterson,

I followed this guide step by step, but the problem is that when I add the output EMF file as a picture to the Word document, the vector elements cannot be edited directly on the image. EMF results run from the Export to EMF tool on ArcMap can be edited and the resolution is very good also. Have you ever experienced this situation before?

0 Kudos
Joey_Lecky
New Contributor II

I get the same result. Exporting map layouts to both EMF and EPS result in raster images with no vector components ('output as image' is unchecked). I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1

At least SVG seems to work well. 

MitchellDrennan
New Contributor III

Same here. Exporting to EMF from ArcMap resulted in a <1 MB file size for me and maintained vector quality. I imported the same MXD to ArcGIS Pro, and exporting to EMF from ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1 results in a rasterized image and 7 - 10 MB file size.

I just recently switched to ArcGIS Pro and am unfortunately amassing a large list of disruptions to our old workflows. Hopefully they fix this one!

CraigBrigley
New Contributor

I'm having the same issue with EMF being exported as a raster.  Vector graphics are preferred for quality, high-end publications.  Using a transparency with a vector layer used to cause raster conversion with ArcMap, but I'm not using transparency on any vector layers.  Also, in layout export settings, what is meant by vector DPI ?  DPI wouldn't be applicable to a vector layer, since it is mathematically defined geometry with no associated resolution.  Anyone have solutions or explanations for this ?  Thank-you