Background of the map missing when exporting

Jump to solution
04-14-2022 02:26 AM
nik_geo
New Contributor III

Hi, I am trying to export a map but the background is missing. By background I mean then basemap I used in my map. No matter the options I use (i.e. export as tif, or png, or whatever, 200/300/600 etc DPI, the compression etc) I still get a portion of the basemap. The basemap is the topobathy and a hillshade from the living atlas. See the image attached for what the problem is. Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nik_geo
New Contributor III

Thank you all for you suggestions. I managed to solve the issue by exporting as .aix and then process the output using Adobe Illustrator.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

They suggest some fixes here, but sounds like you've tried most of those 

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000023776

Have you tried printing to pdf instead of exporting?  

0 Kudos
nik_geo
New Contributor III

Actually, exporting as pdf is the only solution that works. i forgot to mention this. But the problem with exporting it as pdf is that I want to import the map into a LO writer document (ms word). Also, I selected A4 paper as my 'canvas'.

0 Kudos
CarlMorrison
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible you have TIFF images in your map?  Many folks have had an issue with say a company logo or other image that is a tiff file.  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/export-layout-to-pdf-that-includes-tif-logo-fails... 

0 Kudos
nik_geo
New Contributor III

I do have a tif image yes, the university's logo. Let me to export the map without the tif image and I'll post the result here in a little while

0 Kudos
nik_geo
New Contributor III

No, same result. I am guessing I'll have to stick with the pdf export and then figure out how to import the image (without losing the quality) in a LO writer document

Layout.png

0 Kudos
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

I apologize for reiterating, but Printing to a PDF format will create a pdf file.  

KimGarbade_1-1649942697838.png

0 Kudos
nik_geo
New Contributor III

Yes I know that it will create a pdf file, I just wanted to point out that it was the only way to print my map without losing any information.

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi nik_geo, 

I believe you are running into a known limitation: see BUG-000124449 Living Atlas tiled layers consumed through a portal do not completely export to .jpg in a large format with high DPI at small scales in ArcGIS Pro 2.4

The missing tiles are occurring because exporting this service at the repro resolution exceeds the size/request limit of this service. I would recommend to use the cached tiled service (World Hillshade - https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=1b243539f4514b6ba35e7d995890db1d), which is meant to be used as basemap and such export map use cases.

Hope this helps.

Tom

nik_geo
New Contributor III

Thank you all for you suggestions. I managed to solve the issue by exporting as .aix and then process the output using Adobe Illustrator.

0 Kudos