Attribute Driven symbology

Jump to solution
04-21-2022 08:59 AM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I have a map which which has a number of points on it. Each point will hold a value which will be input by a worker in the field. I want to create color coded symbology based on a range of numbers, (ie 0-499, 500-999, etc.) How can I do this in ArcGIS Pro? I know how to do it based off of numbers already in an attribute table but how do you set up symbology for a feature service which hasn't been updated yet?

The idea is once I get it working in ArcGIS Pro on my desktop then I can transfer it over to a web map accessed through Collector by the workers in the field. Can anyone help me with this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

You'll want to use graduated colors symbology, and you'll have to temporarily create some dummy points first. Then it sounds like you know the process from there...

1. Identify how many symbol classes you need - create that many temporary points in your feature class.
  2. Populate the temporary points with different values covering the full range of possible future values.
  3. Open the Symbology pane and change to Graduated Colors.
  4. Assign the field and proper number of classes.
  5. Adjust the Upper value in each class to define each symbol class range.
  6. Update the class labels as necessary. 
  7. Delete temporary points and publish the feature service.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

You'll want to use graduated colors symbology, and you'll have to temporarily create some dummy points first. Then it sounds like you know the process from there...

1. Identify how many symbol classes you need - create that many temporary points in your feature class.
  2. Populate the temporary points with different values covering the full range of possible future values.
  3. Open the Symbology pane and change to Graduated Colors.
  4. Assign the field and proper number of classes.
  5. Adjust the Upper value in each class to define each symbol class range.
  6. Update the class labels as necessary. 
  7. Delete temporary points and publish the feature service.
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Is there a way to create a template in ArcGIS Online to hold the ranges and assign the colors to the ranges in the template. Then have a web map reference that template? 

The hosted feature layer which will hold the features already exists in ArcGIS Online and I am trying to use that feature layer instead of creating a new one in ArcGIS Pro and then sharing it as a web layer

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

taking dummy points and specifying symbology at the ranges I needed in Counts and Amounts (color) seemed to do what I was trying to accomplish! 

Thank you so much for your help!

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

you could set up the symbology with arcade in the web map to assign a "category" to each feature based on the range of values.  Here is example categorizing feature based on the StreetAddress range:

if ($feature.StreetAddress > 0 && $feature.StreetAddress <= 100){
    return "One"
}
else if ($feature.StreetAddress > 100 && $feature.StreetAddress <= 200){
    return "Two"
}
else if ($feature.StreetAddress > 200 && $feature.StreetAddress <= 300){
    return "Three"
}
else if ($feature.StreetAddress > 300){
    return "Maxed"
}
else {
    return "No Value"
}

Then the Unique symbology is set up with symbols for "One", "Two", "Three", etc.

If you already have the entire range in the data, you should be able to symbolize by it.  If not, you can add what you have, then modify the JSON of the webmap drawingInfo to add the missing categories to the symbology/legend.

R_