Attribute-driven color in ArcGIS Pro

12-24-2021 02:20 AM
BranislavBlagojevic
Occasional Contributor II

@KoryKramer What is plan with this:

BranislavBlagojevic_0-1640340931039.png

That a special request is needed to solve this problem?!?

Thank you!

Tags (2)
8 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Branislav,

It was deemed that the issue is not a bug, rather an enhancement request so the bug was marked as a duplicate of the enhancement as shown in your screenshot and here https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEwNDMxNg== [ENH-000135498: Better display of symbol preview or legend when conflicting visuals happens either through visual variables, scale based sizing, or attribute driven symbology.]

The issue has been reviewed by the development team. It has not been prioritized into a release plan and will be monitored to determine its overall impact. Factors that are considered in the prioritization process include the number of users requesting the functionality, business impact, whether an alternative workflow exists, among others.

I hope that explanation helps.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Sveouu
by
New Contributor II

Hi, 
I think this is still very much needed.
I was so excited to find this feature, however not being able to carry the attribute-driven symbology over into the legend  defeats the whole purpose of having attribute-driven symbology. It fails the cartography 101; have an appropriate legend.
 @KoryKramer  If this is not currently prioritised by the development team, are you able to advise on workarounds?
Thank you!

delongtime
New Contributor II

Agreed with @Sveouu. This is yet another half-way executed effort by ESRI. Symbology on the map must match symbology in the legend! If there's anyone at ESRI who states otherwise, perhaps they're secretly working for your competitor and actively working against your best interest.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi @delongtime As noted below, we have an enhancement request open for this [ENH-000135498: Better display of symbol preview or legend when conflicting visuals happens either through visual variables, scale based sizing, or attribute driven symbology.] While you could call technical support to be added to the request, perhaps an easier thing for you to do would be to submit an idea in the Pro idea exchange that demonstrates the type of attribute-driven symbology you're using in your maps and explains what you would expect to see in the legend given that the symbology can vary per feature. Adding specific examples about the way you're working with attribute-driven symbology and your expectations for what you would like to control and visualize in the Contents pane/legend will be very helpful.

Once you submit the idea, we can associate that with the existing Enhancement Request on the backend so that we're tracking this feedback together. 

Thank you for the willingness to provide constructive feedback! 

0 Kudos
xingchenc
Occasional Contributor

@KoryKramer  @BranislavBlagojevic 

This is an enhancement that will benefit the mapping automation process, i.e I could store the color value like RGB(255,255,255) in the attribute table and by utilizing the atrribute-driven symbology feature, I could have the map in the correct color in a few seconds, but unable to show differnt color symbols in the legend, that's a bummer!

Is there an ArcGIS Pro idea that links to this issue, I will definitely vote for it.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi @xingchenc There is an Enhancement Request for this but there is not a corresponding idea. See my comment from last June

If you submit an idea for the functionality, we can associate that with the existing enhancement request and will consider them together. Thank you.

0 Kudos
xingchenc
Occasional Contributor
BranislavBlagojevic
Occasional Contributor II

@KoryKramer, you are becoming more than funny by asking users for an idea = a request for something that ESRI 'falsely' offered to users as an option/function for "Attribute driven symbology". You know very well that it doesn't work, (as recently as 2017 it was confirmed by users), and you persistently ask those users to vote?!? What should they vote for? What should they beg for?!? Will ESRI fix this problem and when? Users have had their say! Well, we are not on the political stage to play with voters.

0 Kudos