Select to view content in your preferred language

Attribute driven symbology not reflected in the legend

08-17-2023 08:00 PM
Labels (1)
xingchenc
Frequent Contributor

Current situation:

The attribute- driven symbology assigned to feature is not relefected in the legend information for a feature layer.

Why this matters:

This is an enhancement that will benefit the mapping automation process, i.e I could store the color value like RGB(255,255,255) in the attribute table and by utilizing the atrribute-driven symbology feature, I could have the map in the correct color in a few seconds, but unable to show differnt color symbols in the legend, that's a bummer!

4 Comments
xingchenc
ThijsBriggeman_Tensing

Much needed enhancement. Now I need to create a layer with a defintion query for every status that can be present in my asset data (6!), to be able to show the possibility of those 6 status in my assets. Very time consuming and very bad for performance of ArcGIS Pro when you need to open projects, maps and want to print maps.

Would like to have this implemented yesterday before today!!

Trisarahtops

We really need this. It would save us so much time, and streamline our data management. Here is our use case:

When making geologic maps, we have a table that stores information for each unit (rock type), including unit description, age, RGB color, and more. Geologic mapping standards require us to fill in the RGB value for each unit into this table.

Trisarahtops_0-1724085009939.png

Then, we must color our polygons with the rgb codes that are already in the attribute table. The colors on the map show up fine with attribute-driven symbology, but the legend is blank. This makes the legend completely unusable.  The screenshot below shows two layers with the same data source and the same colors. The top layer is using attribute-driven symbology with the RGB color code attribute, and the bottom is using conventional unique values symbology, symbolized by map unit code. As you can see, the top layer legend does not actually show what the colors mean.

Trisarahtops_1-1724085227879.png

In order to get the legend to display correctly, we had to entirely re-assign the colors with unique values symbology. This is a relatively simple map, but some of our maps have 150+ units, each with unique colors. Assigning colors twice (once when filling in the attribute table and again when selecting colors for unique values) is a huge headache and an unnecessary waste of time.

If attribute-driven symbology worked correctly to display the legend based on the actual colors that show up on the map, this would solve our problem. As it is now, attribute-driven symbology is useless to us.

Please update as soon as possible. Thank you.

xingchenc

@Trisarahtops 

Thank you for providing your user case. I'm hoping with more user cases, ERSI will start considering incorporate this function in their future release.

I was acutally doing some Geological mapping too when I encountered this problem, what are the odds!