Are there any "best practice" recommendations regarding dedicated display driver settings?

11-10-2014 11:43 PM
YovavZohar1
Occasional Contributor III

Can anyone recommend a "best performance" GPU configuration for the ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
nemesis069
New Contributor III

Yovav,

I guess the System requirements would be your best bet. Furthermore, for each configuration I would test it first prior to implementing it across multiple systems. I don't think Esri is going to tell you: "use such and such GPU for best results."

- Juul

0 Kudos
YovavZohar1

Hi Juul,

Thanks for the answer.

Clearly, I've already viewed the System Requirements, especially those regarding the GPU.

The above question is not intended for choosing the best Graphic Card in the market.

The question is about the best settings for the driver - hence, tweaking the defaults for the GPU regardind 3D, Anti-Aliasing Etc.

Regards,

Yovav Z.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Yovav,

Many of the options are controlled by the application itself implicitly or through the Display Options dialog(for example, hardware anti-aliasing) and therefore can be left at the default position (this is usually called "let the app decide" or "application controlled") at the driver.  We also auto-select the appropriate API level for DirectX or OpenGL, or even if you have no accelerator, and you can tune performance in 3D by changing the "Rendering Quality" slider.  All of these options are discussed in the help here:  Set display options for ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Professionals

Are you having any performance issues with a specific configuration?  If so, we'd like to hear about it - so please report these issues through your normal support contacts.

YovavZohar1

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the help.

I've already tried tweaking the Pro display options.

Apparently, as you've suggested, my performance issue is due to my specific configuration:

Dell Precision 4600 with NVIDIA Quadro 1000M (2 Gb dedicated RAM), Core i7 CPU and 16 Gb RAM, which should be more then the recommended settings for the Pro.

I've already opened a support incident on this matter.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

OK thanks Yovav.  I'll see if I can find a laptop here on campus with similar or the same config and go from there.  We may have to have our devs take a look and see if there's a configuration specific problem.

So two more things I thought of that you can try while I'm trying to find a laptop with same graphics chipset:

1.  This chipset supports NVidia "Optimus" if the laptop has two graphics chipsets - which according to DELLs website this model does.  There may be a BIOS option to disable the onboard graphics accelerator and switch to the Intel chipset, overriding the Optimus system's automatic switch.  That would definitely affect performance because it would be using the poorer chipset instead of the high-performance one.  So check the BIOS for this option.

2.  We do have the newer precision laptops with K1100m - there was an issue with the driver on that one, that we reported to Nvidia and they have a fix which I believe is in the current driver update from NVidia (not from DELL yet).  So getting a driver update from the NVidia site instead of DELL may help - I see that Nvidia updated just the 4th of this month, actually: NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro Desktop/Quadro Notebook Driver Release 340 WHQL 

I'll put in the request with systems now to find a laptop with that graphics chipset, and I will update you either here or through your tech support contact.

0 Kudos
YovavZohar1

Hi Jeremy,

unfortunately, Except for the "Optimus" enable option, there's no settings to override the GPU selection in the BIOS. However, that can be done in the NVIDIA  Control Panel 3D settings. Apperentley, it has no effect.

As for the NVIDIA Quadro driver, I have the latest Version - 341.05.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

OK I've got a ticket in with Systems to find me a loaner laptop with these specs if possible, so we can dig deeper.  thanks!

0 Kudos
YovavZohar1

Thanks and regards

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Yovav,

FYI I got the loaner machine from systems today so I will try to repro your problem.  If I can't, then we'll need to figure out what's different between my loaner machine and the machines you're experiencing the problem on.  I'll keep you posted.

0 Kudos