ArcPro crashes when importing map document

Jump to solution
07-07-2021 07:00 AM
MalleCarrasco-Harris1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I use ArcGIS Pro and the rest of my team uses ArcMap. I sometimes get assignments that require me to import map documents to work with the same template my team has used in the past.

A more recent development is that ArcGIS Pro crashes immediately when I try and import a map document file. I've done this in the past, but it does not work now. I am using the latest version (2.8.1). 

Curiously and probably related, I cannot open ArcMap 10.8 on my computer anymore either. I guess these two are related and welcome suggestions. The error report for this has been sent, but error reports for ArcGIS Pro fail more often than not.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MalleCarrasco-Harris1
New Contributor III

I ended up speaking with Esri customer service. The solution was fixed when I went through these steps: Problem: Graphics card conflict may cause ArcMap to crash

My colleague was having the same issue (we have the same computer) and he went through another set of steps also suggested by Esri customer service, which tells ArcMap which graphics card to use. 

Set ArcMap with a specific Graphic Card

1. Open the Windows Settings > System
  2.  Click on System > Display
  3.     In the Multiple Displays menu, click on Graphics settings
  4.     In the drop-down menu, select Desktop Application
  5.     Browse the ArcMap.exe file located in C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.x\bin\ArcMap
  6.     Select ArcMap, click on Options, and select the graphic card from the laptop
  7. Save changes and run ArcMap

Following this protocol, now both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro are working as expected with .mxd files. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

on a copy of the mxd run document defragmenter and mxd doctor first. 

0 Kudos
MalleCarrasco-Harris1
New Contributor III

I ended up speaking with Esri customer service. The solution was fixed when I went through these steps: Problem: Graphics card conflict may cause ArcMap to crash

My colleague was having the same issue (we have the same computer) and he went through another set of steps also suggested by Esri customer service, which tells ArcMap which graphics card to use. 

Set ArcMap with a specific Graphic Card

1. Open the Windows Settings > System
  2.  Click on System > Display
  3.     In the Multiple Displays menu, click on Graphics settings
  4.     In the drop-down menu, select Desktop Application
  5.     Browse the ArcMap.exe file located in C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.x\bin\ArcMap
  6.     Select ArcMap, click on Options, and select the graphic card from the laptop
  7. Save changes and run ArcMap

Following this protocol, now both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro are working as expected with .mxd files. 

0 Kudos