Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGISCleanup.exe?

Jump to solution
10-11-2019 01:20 PM
RyanDavis1
Occasional Contributor

Can anyone briefly describe the role that ArcGISCleanup.exe serves? 

I'm trying to help someone get ArcGIS Pro set up in a Citrix environment, and they just want to know how vital it is to the program.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Here's an explanation I got from the team here:

"Mostly, it just performs per-process cleanup (cleans up just the temp files created by the exiting process), coordinates how per-process temp folders are created/destroyed, and ensures that per-process temp folders cannot be deleted while the host process is still running.

It is also involved in examining its parent process exit code to do things like auto restarts and is responsible for displaying a user warning message when certain kinds of licensing failures occur (error 246).

ArcGISCleanup is a very lightweight process, but there is one instantiated for each instance of Pro that’s running."

Given that part about it ensuring that per-process temp folders can't be deleted while the host process is running... seems pretty essential to me.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It starts when pro starts and ends when pro ends.   

I have always wondered what would happen if you renamed it, but I haven't gotten around to it 

C:\YourInstallFolder\bin\ArcGISCleanup.exe

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Here's an explanation I got from the team here:

"Mostly, it just performs per-process cleanup (cleans up just the temp files created by the exiting process), coordinates how per-process temp folders are created/destroyed, and ensures that per-process temp folders cannot be deleted while the host process is still running.

It is also involved in examining its parent process exit code to do things like auto restarts and is responsible for displaying a user warning message when certain kinds of licensing failures occur (error 246).

ArcGISCleanup is a very lightweight process, but there is one instantiated for each instance of Pro that’s running."

Given that part about it ensuring that per-process temp folders can't be deleted while the host process is running... seems pretty essential to me.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A none too technical description

It makes folders and file when you start

then removes them when Pro is closed

but if you disable it in system monitor prior to closing, you end up with some remnants... which you have to do a system cleanup on.

RyanDavis1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Kory Kramer‌ and Dan Patterson‌.  Both explanations are very helpful.