ArcGIS Pro won't open after installing on Parallels Desktop 18 on Mac

09-05-2022 09:46 AM
YingtongZhong21
New Contributor II

Hi Guys, 

I just installed parallels 18 with windows 11 on my Mac Air M1 (2020) 8GB 512GB. I allocated 4 CPUs and 4g RAM to VM. And I downloaded ArcGIS pro and installed on windows. I tried installing the software on Mac document file, on local disk(C:) and reinstallation, and rebooting, but the ArcGIS pro just would not open. There is no task on task manager when I click the ArcGIS pro icon after installation. I also downloaded the arm64 6.0.8 runtime windows desktop. I don't know what is the issue. Can someone help?

Thanks!

24 Replies
policyprof
New Contributor

Try .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.16 for Windows x64 (within Windows!)

RobertHarrison2
New Contributor

Thank you!! It was defaulting to Windows ARM but once I installed Windows x64 .NET ArcGIS Pro opened!

0 Kudos
mwells8181
New Contributor

I have a newer Mac laptop with the M-series chip running on Parallels. Uninstall Version 3.0/3.1 and revert back to ArcGIS Pro version 2.9. It's the only version that opens with these new Apple M-Chips.  Also, once you've installed the base version of ArcGIS Pro 2.9, recommend updating and installing Patch 2.9.5. This fixes a crashing issue that otherwise occurs when you mess with layer symbology.

Matthew Wells

0 Kudos
RobertHarrison2
New Contributor

I managed to fix this thanks to several of the comments in this thread. It sounds like the secret is to use the x64 .NET runtime and NOT the arm64 one (though you can have both installed). 

My machine: Macbook Pro with M2 Pro chip and 32GB memory Sonoma OS v14.0

VM: Parallels 19 with Windows 11, 8 cpu cores 16gb ram

ArcGIS Pro 3.1.3

It was not working for me until I installed .NET Windows Desktop Runtime 6.0.24 x64 version. The x64 runtime must be doing the CPU virtualization needed by ArcGIS Pro (sorry if that is obvious, I'm still a n00b with virtualization environments). Microsoft says that .NET 7 is even better for this but I haven't gotten around to trying it just yet. 

LizGiel
New Contributor

This also worked for me! Here is the best link to install .NET in case this helps anyone else. 

Download .NET 6.0 SDK (v6.0.416) - Windows x64 Installer (microsoft.com)