Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro - Symbology Multiple Fields - Classes Disappear and Can't Be Added

Jump to solution
4 weeks ago
tiztrain
Occasional Contributor

Hey all,

Having an issue that when I add another field to the symbolisation, all the classes disappear and I can't add any. Same problem occurs when using custom expressions.

tiztrain_0-1720629126285.png --> 

tiztrain_1-1720629191319.png

Does the dataset have to contain data?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Ah I understand.  So yes, the feature class must contain data for the add all values to work.  If there's no data in the layer, the process will not work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Testing this on my ArcGIS Pro and this appears to be expected behavior when you add a new field to the Unique Symbology item.  I'd recommend you add both fields first, then create the symbology second.  That way it doesn't remove the formatting.

0 Kudos
tiztrain
Occasional Contributor

@Robert_LeClair when I do that and then click the 'add all values' button, nothing loads in.

tiztrain_0-1720673530991.png

Is the only way to add the values is to manually add them all?

The 'add all values' button worked for me previously, the only difference was that it was an older version of Pro and the dataset contained data.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Ah I understand.  So yes, the feature class must contain data for the add all values to work.  If there's no data in the layer, the process will not work.

0 Kudos
tiztrain
Occasional Contributor

Yep ok so it is standard behaviour. Would be nice if it would work with no data and building the new dataset.

0 Kudos