Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro snapping not working when creating new features

03-15-2017 07:41 AM
HeatherScroggins
Occasional Contributor II

I am running into a snapping problem when I am editing in ArcGIS Pro (version 1.4) and I'm hoping someone has a solution.

I can't seem to snap to anything when I am creating new features. If I finish the sketch and then edit vertices, it will snap just fine. But when I am actually creating the feature, it won't snap. I've looked at the settings, I've tried to search here on GeoNet as well as other online resources, and I can't find anything talking about this.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Is it some setting that I am missing? I've tripled checked my snapping settings and the layers I'm trying to snap to are turned on in the 'List by Snapping' view of the Contents window. And yes, snapping is turned on.

Any help someone has would be greatly appreciated. 

29 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am also having this problem, and unfortunately have no solution. Seems a glitchy thing within Pro. I'm hoping ESRI can work on this issue.

sarahtocco
New Contributor II

They seemed to have fixed this in 2.3!! woohoo!

alex_friant
Occasional Contributor III

I don't think so. I'm in 2.3.2 and the issue still occurs. I had to close Pro and reopen for snapping to work again while creating new features. I hope 2.4 solves this bug.

0 Kudos
DaleSmith1
New Contributor

I'm also having the same issue, and in 2.3 too. 

0 Kudos
FelixMcCarthy
New Contributor II

I have 2.3.2 and it is not working for me.   Tried saving edits and restarting Pro but no luck.  Trying to get polygon edges to snap to each other...

0 Kudos
FelixMcCarthy
New Contributor II

After reading through a bunch of topics I increased my snap tolerance and now snapping is working as it should.  By default it was set way too fine for my data set.

0 Kudos
DavidPhillips3
New Contributor II

I am experiencing the same problem in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2. I also cannot snap when trying to use the interactive mode of the split tool. I have tried turning on and off snapping, and increasing the snapping tolerance. This did not resolve the problem for me.

I am currently using the workaround save project > exit project > re-open project. That gets the snapping working again. It would be excellent if esri are able to identify the cause and fix it.

ShanonTait1
New Contributor II

I have the same problem with the snapping tool. I have to restart my project to get the vertices to snap again. This needs to be fixed asap.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Shanon,

I'm sorry you're losing the ability to snap to vertices in Pro. No matter what I try, I cannot reproduce this issue. A few questions to help us narrow it down:

1. How often are you losing the ability to snap while editing?
  2. What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?
  3. What was your exact workflow when snapping failed the last time?
  4. Perhaps this issue is data-specific, are you noticing it with certain data more often?
  5. Are you trying to snap to sketch?
  6. When it occurs, is it specific to a certain feature and type of snapping or are all snap agents not working across all layers?

snap agents = 

Snap agentsSnaps to

Point Point

Nearest point features and LAS data point features in 3D scenes.

Endpoint Endpoint

Nearest start or endpoint of a polyline or polygon

Vertex Vertex

Nearest vertex of a polyline or polygon

Edge Edge

Nearest polyline or polygon segment

Intersection Intersection

Nearest intersection of two or more polylines or polygons

Midpoint Midpoint

Midpoint of the nearest polyline or polygon segment

Tangent Tangent

Nearest point of tangency on an arc or curved polygon segment

If you find that you can reproduce again, please don't hesitate to reach out to Esri Technical Support so you can show them your exact workflow, and perhaps share some sample data that reproduces the issue. Here is the contact info for Technical Support:

https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

Thank you!

Scott

0 Kudos
DaveSelvidge
New Contributor III

Similar situation.

Started a fresh, new blank project in ArcPro 2.4.1. After adding the basemap and setting the projection, I began to georeference an old set of plans from '77. Once that was finished,  I quickly resumed preparing the project. Somewhere in the process of creating feature classes, editing fields and their attributes, and actually tracing the lines on the plans I had noticed that I couldn't snap a line to a point. I checked the snap settings, topology, and ensured that I saved all edits - still no snapping functionality. However, everything appeared to be in order. I saved the project and reopened. Snapping is working once again! I've had this issue in the past and have tried to retrace my steps in order to replicate the bug/error and have never been successful. The snapping feature seems to randomly lose its functionality. I have a hunch that maybe the error is related to uncommitted/unsaved edits somewhere in the workflow process. 

0 Kudos