Select to view content in your preferred language

Annotation Feature Attributes: Annotation Tab Disabled

06-29-2022 06:58 AM
Labels (2)
MatthewShepherd
Emerging Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3, I converted labels for a geodatabase feature class to two feature-linked annotation feature classes. When I select an annotation feature and open the Attributes pane, I am unable to change the symbol in the Annotation tab as shown below. The tools are all disabled (greyed out).

MatthewShepherd_2-1656510972808.png

The annotation feature classes are editable, and I am able to edit annotation feature attributes in the Attributes tab, so I'm not sure why the Annotation tab tools are unavailable. I have been unable to find any Esri guidance or community posts that explain why this tab might be disabled. I also haven't found any clues in the Feature Class Properties pane for the annotation feature classes.

Is there some setting I'm missing that would enable the Annotation tab?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShawnCrites
New Contributor

I found that Edit mode must be activated under the {Edit tab>Manage Edits group>Edit} first, then {Edit tab>Select>Attributes} will not be grayed out.

MatthewShepherd
Emerging Contributor

Shawn, thank you for your reply. I went back to the project in which I experienced this issue. I'll note that the annotation feature class in question was in the ArcGIS Pro version 2.x format, as that's what I was using at that time.

I think you misinterpreted my original post. The Attributes button in Edit > Selection is not grayed out, and I am able to open the Attributes pane as shown in the screenshot in my original post. The issue is that within the Attributes pane, the Annotation subpane is not editable, even though the Attributes subpane is editable. Based on your reply, I confirmed that Edit mode is active (Edit > Manage Edits > Edit).

I looked at the annotation feature class properties through the Catalog pane. Under Editing behavior, I confirmed the following settings:

• [Unchecked] Text symbol required to be selected from the symbol table
  • [Checked] Annotation created with new features
  • [Checked] Annotation updated when related feature's shape is modified

I compared this annotation feature class with two other annotation feature classes that I created under the ArcGIS Pro version 2.x and 3.x formats. In both cases, the Annotation subpane was enabled and I could make edits. These other feature classes also had the same Editing behavior settings noted in the bullet list above.

I suspect there's something specific to the annotation feature class that's exhibiting this behavior that is not shared by the others, but I can't figure it out at this stage.

0 Kudos