ArcGIS Pro Search capability

Jump to solution
04-16-2021 08:40 AM
HeatherScroggins
Occasional Contributor II

With in ArcMap in the Search window (panel) you have the capability to connect to databases and folders to also search those. This functionality is super handy, not only for people who may not know the database well but in other scenarios too. For instance, I have connect to a folder where we store all our georeferenced asbuilts. Each asbuilt has an image ID in it's file name so I can use the Search window to search on that image ID (that I get from identifying a feature) and immediately pull it into my map. I love this functionality.

HeatherScroggins_0-1618587173949.png

HeatherScroggins_1-1618587249048.png

Does Pro have anything like this? You can search within a Project but even when I have a connection to the database and a folder connection to certain folders, the search only seems to return maps and layouts. Am I missing something?

HeatherScroggins_2-1618587452882.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Heather, your image looks like your connection is to an enterprise geodatabase. The contents of enterprise geodatabases aren't indexed by default in ArcGIS Pro. To enable indexing, go to the Settings page (click Project tab in a project), click Options on the left, and click the Indexing option. In the Options dialog box, uncheck the box that says Skip enterprise database connections. Same thing for network folders--except you have to check the box to index them. Index project items 

index-options.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It works for me in the Catalog pane (ArcGIS Pro), even for folders that are not added as folder connection.

Jayanta_Poddar_0-1618591001779.png

It won't search for folders, though. You need to use Windows Explorer for that. But the files that ArcGIS Pro can read/detect, it should display.

Think Location
0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Heather, your image looks like your connection is to an enterprise geodatabase. The contents of enterprise geodatabases aren't indexed by default in ArcGIS Pro. To enable indexing, go to the Settings page (click Project tab in a project), click Options on the left, and click the Indexing option. In the Options dialog box, uncheck the box that says Skip enterprise database connections. Same thing for network folders--except you have to check the box to index them. Index project items 

index-options.png

HeatherScroggins
Occasional Contributor II

So the 'Skip enterprise database connections' was already unchecked, but checking the 'Index items on network disks' seems to have reset something because now it pulls things from the database when I search.

I do wish there was a setup similar to ArcMap still and the reason being is that I usually have a read-only connection as well as an editing connection to the same database and so searching pulls duplicate results and you have to hover over to figure out which is which. 

So it would be nice to be able to explicitly state which connection to search but I will accept the functionality as it currently is. 

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Heather, I'll forward your post to the right development team so your use case can be considered. I don't know about the lucky effect of changing the network setting on your database searches... that seems quirky.

Tim