ArcGIS Pro random freezing

Jump to solution
05-06-2022 08:10 AM
Labels (1)
NeilCurriVC
New Contributor III

I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever experienced all buttons and menus in ArcGIS Pro become unresponsive. It's not necessarily freezing in that I get no error, my CPU doesn't start going bonkers, I'm getting no indication that the machine or the program is hung on anything, but none of the menus or buttons respond to clicking. The only thing I can do is click the X button in Windows to close the program and save it when it prompts me. Or I can minimize or resize the program Window, which doesn't help much... I'm not seeing any pattern to it - no particular function or action seems to trigger it. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

My coworker and I have the exact thing happen pretty frequently - sometimes a right click on something in the TOC will fix it, but usually not. I tried opening a tech support case but since it's intermittent/not reproducible and their steps didn't do anything to assuage the issue, they weren't able to do anything. One thing they suggested was to disable WebRoot, which I tried, and still had the issue. Keyboard shortcuts usually work, though, so you can press Alt+F4 to close and use the spacebar to select 'save' when prompted. And then reopening the program should work fine. Annoying, but a pretty quick workaround.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Neil - whenever I see "strangeness" like this, I rename the ESRI folder in my c:/users/<user_profile>/appdata/local and c:/users/<user_profile>/appdata/roaming to ESRI_OLD.  Another thing to do is repair the ArcGIS Pro installation or a clean uninstall of ArcGIS Pro followed by a clean install.

0 Kudos
KevinGabelman
New Contributor II

I am curious, @Robert_LeClair , why not just delete the contents of the roaming appdata folder? Or, do you rename it, then delete it later, just in case there was a temp raster somehwere you needed?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Kevin - you can delete the ESRI folder in ../appdata/local and ../appdata/roaming.  My thought is by renaming it, you can recover it...just in case there's something in it you need.

0 Kudos
NeilCurriVC
New Contributor III

I'll try the folder renaming trick in my user profile. I assume it will just re-create it next time I open Pro? Echos of renaming the ArcMap normal document template. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes sir - ArcGIS Pro will create a new ESRI folder in those 2 folders.  My ArcMap days go back to 8.0 in 1999 - remember that trick well!

0 Kudos
NeilCurriVC
New Contributor III

Just had a full on crash when editing so I'm trying it now.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

My coworker and I have the exact thing happen pretty frequently - sometimes a right click on something in the TOC will fix it, but usually not. I tried opening a tech support case but since it's intermittent/not reproducible and their steps didn't do anything to assuage the issue, they weren't able to do anything. One thing they suggested was to disable WebRoot, which I tried, and still had the issue. Keyboard shortcuts usually work, though, so you can press Alt+F4 to close and use the spacebar to select 'save' when prompted. And then reopening the program should work fine. Annoying, but a pretty quick workaround.

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

The issue persists in Pro 3.0. Map navigation seemed to be working (the thing I did right before it broke was zoom to a group layer, and it worked again when everything else was locked up). It responded to right clicks in various locations, but not left clicks. Right click > Symbology seemed to get it to snap out of it.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Happened again today, all I did was R click>open a map from the catalog view, and then I couldn't click anything.

0 Kudos