ArcGIS Pro Project Template Use

01-04-2022 09:32 AM
AlanGahlsdorf
New Contributor II

On the order of about 40-50 projects per year, I create a discrete database for each project while using standardized layout and data layer access connections (across folders and public servers).  The project file is not shared and remains on the originating computer.  In ArcMap this was accomplished by merely saving a previous project to a new file name and redirecting project-specific data layer links to newly created data files (database or shapefiles).

In Pro (2.9.0) when I attempt to create a project template for a single machine the routine executes, but template file size reaches 18 gigs.

Is there a way to accommodate the previous method in GIS Pro, including generation of a new blank database specific to the new project?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Alan,

So... just to make sure I understand the questions... you have a template (.mxd) that is used in ArcMap and you have established a project specific folder and file geodatabase for each project... and you want to duplicate this for ArcGIS Pro?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
AlanGahlsdorf
New Contributor II

Thank you Amanda for responding.

In ArcMap I did not use a template, but instead just resaved a previous project file to a new project file each time.  It also had the benefit of allowing changes to the standardized pattern over time.  The balance of your query is spot on.  To preserve the standardization initially, I have been first creating the project in ArcMap and then importing into GIS Pro, which works very well but is a short-term solution based on ArcMap's life expectancy.

Either a template solution or something along the lines of what I was doing in ArcMap are both acceptable to me.  The best approach would potentially involve generating the least amount of key strokes each time the process is repeated. Frankly, I am a bit lost at this point on how Pro's background geodatabase creation is working, and how I could mimic the previous approach with that in mind.  If a project template would work and be of a manageable size, that would be grand.

Thank you!

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

If your goal is standardization, I must ask, why the individual file geodatabases?  In your folder connections and public connections, do they include connections to an SDE perhaps?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
AlanGahlsdorf
New Contributor II

The project file is not shared.  However, the created GIS spatial data is in many cases to various clients along with pdf-generated layouts.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

How many people will be utilizing the project file?  And the created GIS spatial data/pdf layouts... how are they shared?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
AlanGahlsdorf
New Contributor II

Only one person utilizes the project file (me).  I am not sure how the created data is shared.  The ones requesting the created data typically have their own in-house GIS and I presume append what I provide to theirs.  The pdf layouts are incorporated into project reports.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

So you would just need a project file created in ArcGIS Pro with the necessary data connections.  The sharing of the data.. it depends on what you share, but that could be automated.  The PDFs could be set up as layouts or a map series in Pro.  There are also ways to automate everything I mentioned.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
AlanGahlsdorf
New Contributor II

Thanks Amanda.  By share I mean copy the files, paste and distribute.  They are not shared in the real-time sense of the word.  I'm not sure what SDE means, but the public connections I referenced means access to served data in the public domain, such as provided by ESRI and various government entities.

Al

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

SDE is an old term meaning "Spatial Data Engine" i think the modern term is "Multi-Edit GIS Database" or something of that nature. All of those connections can be established through your ArcGIS Online account or portal... depending on your GIS infrastructure (how your GIS system is designed with servers, licensing, extensions, etc.).

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos