Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro opening read only projects even though no other projects open

10-15-2018 08:20 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm running ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3 and it keeps opening read only projects when I open projects for the first time. If I then close these and re-open it seems fine.

29 Replies
MicheleH1_DNReply
Deactivated User

Huh - I've just noticed - Kate started this thread - she's in my team!  Maybe it's something on our network setup interfering with ArcPro....

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

My suggestion would be to work with your IT department to find out if firewall or antivirus could be the culprit.

0 Kudos
MicheleH1_DNReply
Deactivated User

Thanks - yeah - Kate and I just discussed doing that!

0 Kudos
HeavenAziz
New Contributor

I am experiencing this exact issue, it just started in the past 2 days. It does not tell me when the Read Only version of the project opens, so I find out the next time I remember to hit save and it doesn't let me.

The edits I make in layers while the project is Read Only also do not get saved somehow (even though I made sure to hit save edits). This doesn't make any sense to me, but the only thing I've been able to do to get around it is save the project with a new name.

Kara_Shindle
Regular Contributor

I just started having this issue.  Map Projects I created for exporting large Map Series are now opening as Read - Only.  I created this project in ArcPro about 2 months ago, and it is now doing this.  Any headway?

0 Kudos
MicheleH1_DNReply
Deactivated User

Unfortunately not. Kate and I have no idea why this is occurring. To be fair we haven't actually done much to look into the problem - actually problems as Kate's and mine are slightly different.  I have just been saving as and then opening the new one.  Works for a while and then I have to do it again.  It will get annoying enough soon to try to look into it. I don't have a lot of hope though - these intermittent problems never seem to have a satisfactory solution...

Kara_Shindle
Regular Contributor

I shutdown my computer for 1 minute and restarted and was able to access my Pro documents.  Not a great fix but I didn't want to keep making new documents.

AurelieShapiro
Occasional Contributor II

yeah, I turned it off and on again and it works...

0 Kudos
KentaOkuyama
New Contributor III

I came across the same problem, and it directed me to here https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/projects/open-a-project.htm. It seems opening the same project within the same directory at the same time causes this issue. Therefore it happens when multiple users try to work on the project within the shared network drive. 

FYI: In case you control the project by standalone python in Jupyter notebook with opening the project in ArcGISPro app at the same time, once you close the app and try to open the project in app again, it will happen. After you close all Jupyter windows, you could successfully open the project in ArcGISPro app.

MichelleAng
New Contributor

I faced similar issues, opened and closed a file that I've created months ago because it kept opening in Read-Only mode. The solution for me was to restart my laptop and it worked like normal again after that. 

0 Kudos