ArcGIS Pro Layout Legend not Displaying Layer Symbology

Jump to solution
02-03-2021 06:55 AM
AlexanderLynch2
New Contributor III

Hello all,

I am having a confusing time trying to understand why my symbology in legend and ToC do not match. ToC has 1 subtype dashed, and rest solid; legend will display symbology as dashed or soild, and of different size. The symbology in legend changes each time an action is done by mouse to the project. It should be noted that I am leveraging attribute property connections.

Thanks!

AlexanderLynch2_0-1612363971525.png

AlexanderLynch2_1-1612363993143.png

AlexanderLynch2_2-1612364076330.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexanderLynch2
New Contributor III

I don't have permissions to do that. However, it does stem from attribute property connections where dash type is set to '1 0 ' but properties mapped to expression in field.

AlexanderLynch2_0-1612447336731.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

This sounds like BUG-000131848 - Legends using dashed and solid lines are not displayed correctly in ArcGIS Pro as the arrangement between the solid strokes and the shape marker in the layout differs from the arrangement in the map.  It was discovered in ArcGIS Pro 2.5.1 and resolved in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.  What release of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

0 Kudos
AlexanderLynch2
New Contributor III

2.7. And to confirm, I downloaded the patch with same results.

AlexanderLynch2_0-1612385127137.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay - thx for the 2.7 information.  One other thing to try besides a clean uninstall/clean install is to rename the ESRI folder in your C:\Users\<user_profile>\appdata\local and C:\Users\<user_profile>\appdata\roaming to ESRI_OLD and see if that tweaks the legend issue.

0 Kudos
AlexanderLynch2
New Contributor III

Current work around is having layer dedicated to legend 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alexander, 

You may be running into a bug specific to attribute property connections. I'm not aware of any Layout Legend issues with attribute property connections.  

Can you contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos
AlexanderLynch2
New Contributor III

I don't have permissions to do that. However, it does stem from attribute property connections where dash type is set to '1 0 ' but properties mapped to expression in field.

AlexanderLynch2_0-1612447336731.png

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for the screenshot and bringing this issue to our attention!  I'm able to reproduce this and will enter an internal bug and hopefully we can address this with the next release (2.8).

Tom

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alexander,

The issue described in this thread, as understand it, is not BUG-000131848, but specific to attribute driven symbology. We have discovered an issue where the legend displays the symbol in an inconsistent manner and have addressed this for the next release (2.9). Here is the bug number for future reference: BUG-000141908.

I’ve conferred with the team that works with attribute driven symbology. The legend (both displayed in the Contents pane and on the layout page) is limited to displaying the base symbology for the class and will ignore any attribute driven symbology overrides defined for specific features.

For example, in the map below the line layer is broken into 2 classes: RED and BLUE. The dash pattern is driven by values of an attribute (“symbol”). This value can vary feature by feature within the same class. You can see the different dash patterns in the line feature for each class in the map below.

The legend is not currently designed to display all variations of the dash pattern. Instead, when there are attribute driven overrides for the symbol, the legend displays the base symbol as you can also see in the screenshot below.

Screenshot.png

Here how the symbology is set for the layer.

Screenshot1.png

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos