ArcGIS Pro hangs when selecting attributes in map with many large feature classes

02-02-2022 10:15 AM
bhmiel
by
New Contributor II

Hello all, today I am using ArcPro for one function of my job for the first time in a few weeks, and I've been puzzled by a very peculiar error/bug that I have not been able to resolve with several hours of troubleshooting today.  

Simply put, I can barely use the selection tool for most layers on one of my maps at all.  If I try to select one or more attributes (point, line, polygon - doesn't matter) in a large feature class, the application hangs with the "Selecting... Press Escape to cancel" animation showing for an unreasonably long time.  On a few occasions its finally pulled up the selected feature after 3-5 minutes, but others I've waited as long as 10 minutes and it can't pull it up.  The map appears to draw all of the features fine and relatively quickly, and selecting features in smaller classes isn't really an issue (takes a few seconds when selecting one attribute out of ~5-800  in a FC).  

I'm using ArcGIS Pro v 2.9.1 and my PC has fairly decent specifications and everything is running off of a local NVMe SSD that is only ~50% full:
CPU: 8c/16t Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: RX580 8GB
Ram: 32Gb @ 3200 

I'm familiar with the tool lagging slightly and taking a few seconds on large FCs, maybe as much as 10 seconds for a FC with 500,000 entries, but I've never seen it where hangs this bad.    

I've tried closing/reopening the application, as well as rebooting.  I've saved my map to an *.mapx file and reopened it in a new project, as well as copied many of the layers to a new map in the same project, but nothing seems to help.  

I will note that this issue is specific to only ONE map in my project (I have about 5 maps in the project and the behavior is generally normal in others - selection is instant for small FC's and maybe takes a few seconds for large ones).  This map is fairly complex with ~50 layers spread across ~10 different geodatabases, and another 10 online ArcGIS Online repositories.  The symbologies, and popup displays have all been carefully curated so that I have the information I need at my fingertips by manually selecting features, but no matter what I try I simply cannot select any features without the application hanging.  

Just so we're clear, I've checked the selection part of the contents pane and all of my layers are checked to be selectable. 

This behavior wasn't always this bad.  I was using the same map back in Oct/November 2021 and selections were much snappier.  Perhaps this was a change that came about when I recently updated to v2.9.1?  

Anyone else experiencing this lately?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
bhmiel
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion - can you share a link on how to "Reset the data source" for a layer?

0 Kudos
NathanShephard
Esri Contributor

Sure. It's on the 'Source' tab of the Layer Properties dialog.

tmp_SetLayerDataSource.png

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor II

I run into this pretty often without any rhyme or reason - small datasets, large datasets, online, local...sometimes it just decides to take its time and I often have to force quit the program. Many times, I'm not even trying to select - click off a selection, maybe. Been happening well before 2.9. Interested to hear if you find a resolution.

0 Kudos
bhmiel
by
New Contributor II

Nope - I even spent 3 hours rebuilding my project last Friday and it seemed to work fine; however I crack open the same project today and its hanging worse than I've ever seen.

Makes me want to throw my keyboard   

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor II

Hope it's wireless!

0 Kudos
AmeliaBradshaw
Esri Contributor

Hello @bhmiel 

Thank you for letting us know that you are still having issues with this project! So resetting the data source for the layer on the original project did not work, and neither did rebuilding the project, as the performance is even worse today? Just to confirm, did you try to clear the local cache as Nathan suggested? 

0 Kudos
bhmiel
by
New Contributor II

Yes, I even deleted the entire folder within my appdata directory as he suggested and its of no use.  

0 Kudos