ArcGIS Pro hangs when selecting attributes in map with many large feature classes

02-02-2022 10:15 AM
bhmiel
by
New Contributor II

Hello all, today I am using ArcPro for one function of my job for the first time in a few weeks, and I've been puzzled by a very peculiar error/bug that I have not been able to resolve with several hours of troubleshooting today.  

Simply put, I can barely use the selection tool for most layers on one of my maps at all.  If I try to select one or more attributes (point, line, polygon - doesn't matter) in a large feature class, the application hangs with the "Selecting... Press Escape to cancel" animation showing for an unreasonably long time.  On a few occasions its finally pulled up the selected feature after 3-5 minutes, but others I've waited as long as 10 minutes and it can't pull it up.  The map appears to draw all of the features fine and relatively quickly, and selecting features in smaller classes isn't really an issue (takes a few seconds when selecting one attribute out of ~5-800  in a FC).  

I'm using ArcGIS Pro v 2.9.1 and my PC has fairly decent specifications and everything is running off of a local NVMe SSD that is only ~50% full:
CPU: 8c/16t Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: RX580 8GB
Ram: 32Gb @ 3200 

I'm familiar with the tool lagging slightly and taking a few seconds on large FCs, maybe as much as 10 seconds for a FC with 500,000 entries, but I've never seen it where hangs this bad.    

I've tried closing/reopening the application, as well as rebooting.  I've saved my map to an *.mapx file and reopened it in a new project, as well as copied many of the layers to a new map in the same project, but nothing seems to help.  

I will note that this issue is specific to only ONE map in my project (I have about 5 maps in the project and the behavior is generally normal in others - selection is instant for small FC's and maybe takes a few seconds for large ones).  This map is fairly complex with ~50 layers spread across ~10 different geodatabases, and another 10 online ArcGIS Online repositories.  The symbologies, and popup displays have all been carefully curated so that I have the information I need at my fingertips by manually selecting features, but no matter what I try I simply cannot select any features without the application hanging.  

Just so we're clear, I've checked the selection part of the contents pane and all of my layers are checked to be selectable. 

This behavior wasn't always this bad.  I was using the same map back in Oct/November 2021 and selections were much snappier.  Perhaps this was a change that came about when I recently updated to v2.9.1?  

Anyone else experiencing this lately?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

besides clearing out display caches and history

Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro - Esri Community

Kory has a lot of suggestions there.

A fresh start in a new project  and only loading the data you need sometimes goes a long way to resolving issues

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
AmeliaBradshaw
Esri Contributor

Thank you for reporting the issues you have been seeing with this map @bhmiel ! This is unusual behavior, especially knowing that selection in the same map was much faster a few months back, before the upgrade to 2.9.1. I second Dan in recommending looking through Kory's Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro blog. That is a great resource for performance troubleshooting, with a wide variety of suggestions to try. For this situation, using ArcGIS Diagnostic Monitor may be very helpful. This tool has been included with Pro for some time, but received a major design overhaul in Pro 2.9. The documentation for this tool includes information on the architecture of ArcGIS Pro, along with explanations of various aspects of the tool interface and the data you can gather from it. For an issue such as yours, where there is a long lag time between the start and end of a task, this tool can be extremely helpful, as the Recent UI Task Log will show the total time required to complete a specific task. 

Please let me know if you have further questions and I would be happy to help! 

Thank you, 

Amelia 

0 Kudos
bhmiel
by
New Contributor II

@DanPatterson 's 'solution' of "A fresh start in a new project  and only loading the data you need sometimes goes a long way to resolving issues" is a wholly unsatisfactory resolution.  Doing so would take me hours of time, when the feature used to work as intended in the exact same map a few weeks ago.  This behavior appears to be something endemic within ArcPro about how the application accesses information from databases.  "Starting Over" isn't a helpful option, especially when I have a different Map in the project that has no trouble selecting features from a large feature class (>100k entries).

@AmeliaBradshaw - I've tried several of the items in that blog post on performance issues, but nothing seems to help.  Its exceedingly frustrating that this issue is unique to ONE map that I've made in my project - and trying to copy only the layers I'm intesrested in to a new map also doesn't help.  Turning on the Diagnostic monitor and simply trying to select a single feature gives me the following - there's ~10 different functions that show a ~2.5-4.5 minute delay to just select a feature with the tool.  

Does this help isolate the issue to something more specific I can do to resolve the problem rather than "starting over"?

Task #      Queued time  Total time   Task time Resume time   Wait time   Function
224        10:19:46:451           8           0           0           8   ArcGIS.Desktop.Internal.Editing.TableControlCoreViewModel.UpdatePageSelection+
223        10:19:46:446          11           0           0          11   ArcGIS.Desktop.Editing.TableManager.UpdateMapHighlightSelection+
222        10:19:46:227         230           0           0         230   ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.MappingModule.QuerySelection
221        10:19:46:175         282         281           0           1   ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.MappingModule.InternalFillFeatureCache
220        10:19:46:131          32          32           0           0   ArcGIS.Desktop.Editing.Attributes.AttributesTreeViewModel.OnSelectionChanged+
219        10:19:46:131           0           0           0           0   ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.MappingModule.QuerySelection
218        10:19:46:039           0           0           0           0   ArcGIS.Desktop.Internal.Mapping.MapViewInternal.UpdateMapTipText
217        10:19:45:929           2           0           0           2   ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.MappingModule.QuerySelection
216        10:19:45:929           2           0           0           2   ArcGIS.Desktop.Editing.QueryService.QuerySRParams
215        10:19:45:877          54           0           0          54   ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.MappingModule.QuerySelection
214        10:17:19:489      146439           0           0      146439   ArcGIS.Desktop.Internal.Mapping.Ribbon.SelectionChip.GetInitialSelectionSet
213        10:17:19:486      146442           0           0      146442   ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.MappingModule.SetWebMapState+
212        10:17:11:878      154049           0           0      154049   ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.MappingModule.SetWebMapState+
211        10:17:11:877      154050           0           0      154050   ArcGIS.Desktop.Internal.Models.Utilities.Util.NonAwaitCall+
210        10:17:11:877      154049          31           0      154018   ArcGIS.Desktop.Internal.Models.Utilities.Util.NonAwaitCall+
209        10:17:11:877      154013           0           0      154013   ArcGIS.Desktop.Editing.EditingModule.RefreshGrid+
208        10:17:11:875      154015           0           0      154015   ArcGIS.Desktop.Internal.Models.Utilities.Util.NonAwaitCall+
207        10:17:11:875      154014          31           0      153983   ArcGIS.Desktop.Internal.Models.Utilities.Util.NonAwaitCall+
206        10:17:11:873      153980           0           0      153980   ArcGIS.Desktop.Editing.QueryService.QuerySRParams
205        10:15:13:346      272508          16           0      272492   ArcGIS.Desktop.Internal.Mapping.ViewerPaneViewModel.HasArcGISClipboardText

0 Kudos
bhmiel
by
New Contributor II

OK, so I tried one more time to ONLY select a feature (this time in a feature class that is not on my local machine but instead in ArcGIS Online) and It seems there was only one function associated with the lag:

Task #      Queued time  Total time   Task time Resume time   Wait time   Function
232        10:24:40:158      299749           0           0      299749   ArcGIS.Desktop.Mapping.MappingModule.InternalFillFeatureCache
0 Kudos
AmeliaBradshaw
Esri Contributor

Thank you so much for this information @bhmiel ! Thank you for posting the logs for both the larger selection test and when you performed a selection against only the ArcGIS Online layer. The latter was especially helpful. I have a few questions about this: 

• If this single layer is added to a new, blank map, does it demonstrate similarly poor performance? 
  • Within the primary map, do other services from ArcGIS Online demonstrate poor performance when selecting? 
  • Are any of these ArcGIS Online services public? If so, could you share the URL with me for testing? 

Let me know the answers to these when you can! 

Thank you, 

Amelia 

0 Kudos
bhmiel
by
New Contributor II

I started a new project with the following layer, and the performance was perfect to select (~100ms)

https://x-23.env.nm.gov/arcgis/rest/services/aqb/methane_permits/FeatureServer/0/query?outFields=*&w...

I added the same feature class that I was having trouble with from the same gdb that I have it on my machine, and again the performance was perfect (~150ms).  

I'm just frustrated because I find "rebuilding the project" to be an unsatisfactory solution

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't think anyone said it was a "solution".  We are just trying to narrow down potential issues that may lead to a solution.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Tech support would be your best bet.  I looks like something is wrong with that one map

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
NathanShephard
Esri Contributor

Rebuilding the whole map (or whole project) would definitely be painful. I don't know why that map is no longer working well for you --> "ghosts in the machine". 😞

Sometimes similar results (ie: getting a map or layer to work again) can be achieved with annoying-but-less-time-consuming trick like resetting the data source for the layer(s) that are failing. You may have already tried deleting your cache. Sometimes I'll go big on that one and manually delete the contents of the C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\ESRI\Local Caches folder.