Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro editing error - Update Feature Attributes "Edit operation failed" ?

09-08-2016 04:25 PM
JustinSubith
Emerging Contributor

I am trying to edit in ArcGIS Pro and keep getting an error. Any thoughts? Very frustrating. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

not without information on

• what you are editing?,
  • where does it reside? (geodatabase? shapefile? etc)
  • location of file(s) (server? local?)
  • if it is attributes, what type?
  • version of Pro

That's should be a start

0 Kudos
JustinSubith
Emerging Contributor

Version 1.3

It resides in a geodatabase and is stored locally. I am trying to edit the attributes.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No joins or relates?

where are you in this process Introduction to desktop editing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop 

are they for new features or existing? Enter attributes for new features—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
JustinSubith
Emerging Contributor

The attributes I am trying to edit are a text field.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

way down at the bottom of the list are the Editing Status Messages Introduction to desktop editing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop 

I can't find it in the list, if that is the exact error message given

0 Kudos
JoeBryant1
Frequent Contributor

Hi Justin, I know this is an old question, but I wonder if you remember how you fixed it?

I'm having the same problem: just trying to edit an attribute value in a non-read-only field in an editable feature class that was created in the default file geodatabase for my new project. I am able to select the field value I want from the pull down in the edit attribute window (the symbology is based on this field), but once I try to commit the edit I get the super-helpful error message: "! Edit operation failed". No help link. No explanation.

*Edit: it does not matter which field I try to edit, I get the same message.

This feature class was created as the output of geocoding an Excel table, if it matters. No joins or relates.

I'm on Pro 2.5, using a Standard License, on a Windows 7 VDI (VMware) machine. I've restarted. My project, and thus the FGDB and feature class, are located on our company network drive. I have been able to edit other field values in Pro before.

Edit operation failed

0 Kudos
JoeBryant1
Frequent Contributor

I submitted a support ticket to ESRI. But before they got back to me, I gave up and went back to ArcMap (I was also having issues with being able to Geocode and create/edit annotation, and just needed to get this done already)! 

The feature class was able to edited in ArcMap. I did find that the Geocoder in Pro added a TON of fields to the feature class, making it impossible to assign a new domain to one of the original fields (the field list in the Domain tool wasn't long enough to show the fields at the end I was editing). So I used the Delete Field Tool to remove all the geocode fields. This allowed me to assign the domain.

I now can't re-create the problem in Pro (the fields are editable now that I updated them in ArcMap). Which makes me suspect the excess geocoding fields were causing an issue. We'll see if it happens again next time.

When ESRI support got back to me, they recommended exporting the feature class to a new geodatabase in case it was corrupt.

0 Kudos
WhitneyLoy
Regular Contributor

Hi Joe-

I have run into the same issue and was able to correct in within Pro. It looks like the the Geocode geoprocessing tool exports the results as a shapefile to the project folder and not as a feature in the project geodatabase. I was able to just import these into the project geodatabase and run the rematch process (edit the attributes) with no issues. 

I have run into this before and not sure if ESRI considers this a bug.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Whit

0 Kudos