Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro 3.1: Project becomes read only at random, locking further editing

Jump to solution
08-11-2023 02:09 PM
ElliotVosburgh
Emerging Contributor

I'm using the latest version of ArcGIS Pro. All projects and data I refer to in this question were created using the same version, on the same computer. My software and files are all stored locally on my single disk (C:\). I am not connected to a VPN.

I am working with point cloud data, creating DEMs, DSMs, and nDSMs. Seemingly at random, I will no longer be able to save my project. I can add the contents of my geodatabase to the map, I can add the geodatabase to another project and then add the data to the other project, but when I go to save or make any changes (like exporting a raster, using any geoprocessing tool, etc. it says it cannot save because the project is read only.

I've gone into Windows File Explorer and made sure my ArcGIS Pro projects folder is not read only.

I've tested using the raw data in a new project, with a blank geodatabase, and recreating all of my data in the old project from scratch. Here is the rough workflow:

1. Create LAS dataset

2. Make LAS dataset layers (ground points, first returns)

3. LAS dataset to raster (x2)

The above steps work fine.

4. Raster functions -> Minus (DSM-DEM = nDSM)

This creates the nDSM but is not stored in my geodatabase. So:

5. Export raster

Uh oh! I can't do that because the project is read only. Try to save? Project is read only. This happens regardless of any tool I use. The problem is not limited to just redoing my work in a new project, it initially happened in a big project with multiple geodatabases that I had been working on for 1 month. Now I can't even work on that project.

This is a major issue in my work that I'm hoping someone can help with.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You're troubleshooting all the right items.  Another thing to try is rename the ESRI folder in your C:\Users\<user_profile>\appdata\local and C:\Users\<user_profile>\appdata\roaming to ESRI_OLD.  Are you still seeing the same "Read-Only" locking?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Are any of your projects/data on One Drive by chance?  In reviewing some other cases, this seems to be an issue for some users.  Moving everything from Once Drive to a local disk drive resolved the issues.  Another workflow that cases this issue is in some cases an IT staff group will move the GIS ecosystem from one network to another and it requires updating security permissions.  Not sure if this is your case or not.

0 Kudos
ElliotVosburgh
Emerging Contributor

Hi Robert,

No, unfortunately. All of my files are stored locally, I don't even have One Drive installed. This is work being done on my personal computer. My ultimate goal is to transfer the files to my work computer - I've been doing it on my personal computer because it has better hardware specs.

Elliot

0 Kudos
ElliotVosburgh
Emerging Contributor

The specific error that occurs is:

ERROR 160385: Workspace or data source is read only.

Things I've tried that haven't worked:

1. Restart ArcGIS Pro
  2. Restart my computer
  3. Open the geodatabases in another project (also causes that project to become read only)
  4. Copy and paste the entire project folder to a new directory
  5. Windows File Explorer -> Properties -> Uncheck "Read only"

For absolute clarity, the version of ArcGIS Pro I am using is 3.1.2.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You're troubleshooting all the right items.  Another thing to try is rename the ESRI folder in your C:\Users\<user_profile>\appdata\local and C:\Users\<user_profile>\appdata\roaming to ESRI_OLD.  Are you still seeing the same "Read-Only" locking?

ElliotVosburgh
Emerging Contributor

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Your solution seems to be working. Would you explain why renaming these folders might have solved this problem? I'm struggling to understand the source of the issue.

Best,

Elliot

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Elliott - the renaming of the ESRI folders is a soft factory reset of ArcGIS Pro and other Esri applications such as ArcMap and ArcCatalog.  Typically when strangeness is afoot and unexplainable, this soft reset tends to resolve the issue.  In this case, maybe there was some remnant file in the ESRI folders causing the lock.  Renaming the folders forces ArcGIS Pro to recreate new ESRI folders for the reset thereby releasing the lock.  

ElliotVosburgh
Emerging Contributor

Thank you very much, it is a massive relief being able to work in the project again. I've tested two common operations that I was unable to do previously, and they both work perfectly now.

DavidMc_Laughlin
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Robert_LeClair , @ElliotVosburgh ,

I'm coming up against a similar issue just recently whereby most of my GIS data is stored on a FileShare and am having files locking and being 'Read-Only'. Even today when trying to save a GeoDatabase, I got the error when trying to rename a newly created one.

However, if I save locally I'm not facing this error. The FileShare is not stored on OneDrive.

Thanks,

David.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @DavidMc_Laughlin  - sorry to hear you're experiencing the "read-only" lock on your project.  Another thing to try is go into your Project options and see what your Project->Current default location is for saved projects and default geodatabase.  Is it your file share vs a local drive?  Please advise.