ArcGIS Pro 2.8 & spyder

Jump to solution
09-07-2021 12:28 PM
ChadFerguson1
New Contributor II

I just installed ArcGIS Pro 2.8 and it appears that if I want to install spyder it is going to install v. 3.3.6.  This is archaic.  When I attempt this in conda it tells me if I do install, that it will downgrade both arcgispro and arcpy to 2.7  

How can I get a more modern version of spyder for ArcGIS Pro 2.8?? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlexanderStum
New Contributor II

First question, did you already install spyder? If not, install spyder, don't worry about version at this step, just get a version, let conda pick what's acceptable.

Second, now try updating everything with conda upate -all? This will demote your ESRI modules, but that is okay. After you have updated everything, namely Spyder, you will fix that.

Third, now do conda install arcpy=2.9. This will revert the demotion of your ESRI modules but will leave most else updated.

0 Kudos
PhilipWhite1
New Contributor III

Thanks Alex,

Nope, couldn't get it successfully installed.. after seeing your message, i tried:

conda install -c esri spyder -y

Following these instructions: https://env859.github.io/python/spyder.html. So thanks Duke University!

By installing from esri channel it seemed to work without going through the downgrading and upgrading arcpy steps. Well, until it doesn't . 🙂

If this blows up I'll try that.

Thanks! Didn't follow your method but it let me in the right direction anyway.

Phil

HanZheng
New Contributor II

Spyder 5.0.5 still works while I was using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.1.

Yesterday I upgraded to 2.9.2 and it started showing up these when I tried to start Spyder in Python Command Prompt although I am 100% sure if it is related to the new update.

HanZheng_0-1647718198138.png

0 Kudos
HanZheng
New Contributor II

Neverminded.

I probably messed up something else during the process. I deleted the cloned environment and cloned a new one in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2. Although I never found out why it got wrong in the first place, at least the Spyder 5.1.5 is working now with ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2

One thing I noticed (it probably was not the case for others) is that while I was using either Spyder 5.0.5 or 5.1.5, this error always came out in Python Command Prompt.  

link image0 hasn't been detected spyder

Although this doesn't really stop Spyder from launching in my machine, the process in python command prompt seems to be stalled. So if I accidentally closed the Python cmd, it will shut down the Spyder as well, which is quite annoying. 

I know this is not a good suggestion, but what I did was to use pip to install an even newer Spyder (5.2.2) that is not in Conda's library.

Another thing I learned this time is that do never do "conda update spyder" because it will bring you back to problematic Spyder 3.3.6.

0 Kudos
OSU_R_Webb
New Contributor

More recently, on 2.9.3, I experienced this issue. I found that after cloning the environment, you must install spyder (which initially only shows v 3.*), then uninstall the spyder package. When you go back in to Add Packages, Spyder 5.1.5 will *magically* be available to install. This fixes issues with Spyder 3.* failing to initialize (which from sleuthing seems to be because of associated dependencies being too new for v.3's requirements). 

While this is not ideal, I found it to work for my use case.

HanZheng
New Contributor II

Yes. I also noticed that 5.15 became available in conda lately. Previously it could bring me as far as 5.0.5 and 5.15 was not in the library.

0 Kudos