ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1 painful slow using Basic License

08-24-2018 01:31 AM
ThomasL
Occasional Contributor

This issue happens on a Basic licensed ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1 (also in previous Pro versions) and when working with simple tasks like modifying feature classes (FC) records using the Attribute table that contain domains or subtypes. The bug also effects all geoprocessing tools in ArcGIS Pro. The effect of this bugs is that ArcGIS Pro is not usable and we had to stop using ArcGIS Pro because simple tasks take 400% longer than normal for ArcGIS Pro.

No change if Project is located on an SSD or network storage. The bug is consistent when moving to a new machines and/or users account.

The project file geodatabase consists of 24 fc and multiple subtypes and domains. But removing subtypes or domains dose not restore normal performance. Compact the FGDB does not resolve this problem.

Working workarounds (but not acceptable):

1) Instant fix when changing to Standard/Advanced Concurrent Use license in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1

2) Delete number of records in FC to below 100

Issues addressed at ArcGIS Pro 2.2.0 that looks similar:

BUG-000111489: A feature class with hundreds of Domains and Subtypes has low performance with other tools.

System Setup:

ArcGIS Pro version: 2.2.1

License Manager Version: 2018.0

Systems spec.: CPU and GPU way above ArcGIS Pro recommended specifications

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are your licenses being manage elsewhere? or is your basic license on a standalone machine?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I find it hard to believe that license type would have impact on the performance of a tool. The license level will check if a functionality is available at that license level or not. How did you test that the performance of using a higher license level of better than using the Basic license? 

Best to contact Esri Support and work through your specific situation and you can also try and use PerfTools (Build 100) for ArcGIS Pro 2.x is now available for download .

0 Kudos
ThomasL
Occasional Contributor

Dan: The basic and standard Concurrent Use license is managed from the same Windows server running ESRI License Manager Version: 2018.0.

Xander: The performance difference is a deal breaker, the user refuse to wait 8 seconds to simply add the next value in the Attribute table as shown in this example:

Basic license: The wait time before the user can modify the record with OBJECTID=186 is 8 seconds, after his first change to record with OBJECTID=192.

Standard license: Wait time = 2 seconds

ArcGIS Pro Basic license is very slow

The PerfTools is new to me, thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

It is still not clear to me how you tested the difference in time. Did you use the same computer, same dataset, same user, assigning a different license level to the user or did you log in with a different user or perhaps did you test on another computer?

Did you contact Esri Support? (I strongly recommend you to do so). 8 seconds vs 2 seconds is a considerable difference.

0 Kudos
ThomasL
Occasional Contributor

Sorry for my short answers Xander, we have tested this bug for 1½ month and I am loosing my mind. 

Yes, we used the same computer, same dataset, same user, assigning a different license level and the performance is like day and night!?!

We have also tested all the scenarios we could think of like other users, computers, building new databases, patching ArcGIS Pro etc.

Yes, I am now working with our national Esri Support.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Thanks for the clarification Thomas Larsen seems the right way to test it and good to hear that you are working on this with support. 

CC KKramer-esristaff ; have you seen this behavior before? 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I haven't seen this before.  Thomas Larsen‌ please work through the issue with technical support and follow up on the thread with the result.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ThomasL
Occasional Contributor

Update after ArcGIS Pro v2.2.2 is released:
The wait time before the user can modify the records or simply open the Attribute table is unchanged using a basic license in v2.2.2. This bug is not related to a specific geodatabase design. Every aspect of ArcGIS Pro is slower on a basic license compared to a standard license (Concurrent Use license server).

I need more time to verify if this bug is OS related (win7) or what. But editing data in a FC using a basic license is painful slow.

The only fix is to change the user to a standard license, and ArcGIS Pro 2.2.2 runs as expected.

We are working with technical support on this issue.

0 Kudos
ThomasL
Occasional Contributor

Update after ArcGIS Pro 2.3 released:

• After working with our national Esri Support, Esri has acknowledged that a Basic-license underperforms (vs. Standard-license) when working with multiple subtypes and domains in a FGDB.
  • ArcGIS Pro 2.3.0 has not resolved this, however Esri has agreed to provide temp-standard-licenses as a workaround enable us to meet our production requirements using ArcGIS Pro. This is customer support at its finest, I think.
  • ArcGIS Pro 2.3.0 has likely resolved the very slow opening of the Attribute table (above 10 seconds). We suspect the “ArcGISSettings.xml” in “C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ESRI” to be the issue, likely a result of upgrading from a previous ArcGIS Pro version. We need more time to do a final verdict on this subject.
  • Slow ArcGIS Pro project opening and saving time is linked to the number of Layouts and Maps in the project on our systems. Deleting (primarily) Maps, reduce the opening and saving time dramatically. We a still testing what layers in the Maps are responsible for this.

All in all ArcGIS Pro is evolving into a stable and productive application for us.