Select to view content in your preferred language

Arcade Expressions and Windows Task Scheduler

02-28-2019 01:46 PM
DrewMerrill1
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have created a web map that utilizes the new FeatureSet functionality to essentially perform spatial analysis between 2 layers and have the result show up in the pop-up widget. I discovered that this same functionality is not available when symbolizing features, so I have written python script that runs the spatial join tool, creates a new layer, creates a join and calculates a field in the web feature layer. The script runs locally and accesses ArcGIS Pro without needing Pro to be open. The script also runs every few minutes using the Windows Task Scheduler so that the web layer is constantly being updated. My question is, can I achieve something similar using Arcade? I believe I should be able to use the FeatureSet function in Pro to do the spatial analysis without creating a new dataset, but can I set up an Arcade script to run tools similar to Python without needing Pro to be open?

Also, I don't have ArcGIS Server or Enterprise so I don't believe I can make use of Attribute Rules to automate field calcs. 

Thanks.

Xander Bakker

0 Kudos
1 Reply
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It is true that the FeatureSetBy* functions are not available for the symbology profile due to the impact this would have on performance. You can apply those functions in the Field Calculation, but this will yield a static result and if (as in your case) the data is constantly updating this would not be an acceptable solution. Attribute rules (calculation rules) would be the way to go, but those are currently only available in ArcGIS Enterprise. I'm sure that at some point they will come to ArcGIS Online too, but until that moment maybe the scheduled task that you are using would be the best option. Perhaps if Esri could provide a temporal solution to be able the schedule a Field Calculation that would be great.