ArcGIS and Oracle SDE Database in ArcGIS Pro with VDI

02-21-2017 09:07 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

My organization is moving towards VDI instead of physical machines for all software including GIS. GIS software has been exempt from VDI in the past, as the VDI environment was unable to support GIS operations.  In my current testing I was able to install a 64-bit Oracle 12c Client and ArcGIS Pro on a dedicated VDI session and I was able to create an Oracle SDE connection and load data into ArcGIS Pro.

In order to streamline the VDI environment to have VDI sessions for many GIS users, the Oracle 12c Client was thin-apped.  I then installed ArcGIS Pro on a VDI session with the newly created Oracle 12c Client thin-app, but I was unable to connect to the Oracle database.  With the help of a DBA I then went into Oracle Net Manager and I was able to successfully connect to the Oracle database so I know the thin-apped Oracle 12c Client is working (just not in ArcGIS Pro).  Has anyone setup a similar VDI environment and had issues connecting to an Oracle database in ArcGIS Pro?

Please note that the environmental variable PATH did not originally have an Oracle Home setup for the thin app deployment.  But pointing to the Oracle 12c Client install location for the PATH environmental variable for the thin app did not solve the Oracle connection problem in ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

The basic question I have is if anyone has successfully created a thin-app of the Oracle Client to be used in enterprise SDE connections in a VDI environment.  My testing with a thin-app Oracle Client has not produced a working SDE connection in ArcGIS Pro v1.4 and I am just trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong or if thin-apping of the Oracle Client is just not possible.  If it is possible, I would just want to know how you set it up?  Any feedback on this subject is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos