Append tool slow for ArcOnline Users but fast for Administrators

11-03-2022 11:27 PM
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

We rely on the Append tool to update a number of feature services on a semi-regular basis. We have recently discovered that when appending data to a feature service, the tool works super quick (seconds) to append thousands of records when run by and ArcGIS Online administrator. But for Non-Admin users running the same tool, with the same input & target data, using the same PC & network connection (essentially everything is the same except their ArcGIS Online member role) it is super slow (hours). 

Why????

I even tried a custom role where I toggled the below setting, thinking that looked like the most logical setting that might make a difference, but alas - it had no effect. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1667543312977.png

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
11 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Lindsay - a question for you - when you're setting up the append operation for non-administrators or non-owner members, are you using this workflow in the following technical support article?

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Hi Robert. Thanks for the link. Drom what I can see, this confirms I'm going about it the right way. We're using Arcgis Pro and the content is shared to a group that our Data Editors are members of with normal edit privileges. I anticipate that if this went the case,  they would be able to Append at all (been using ArcGIS Online for years now so across the majority of functions around groups and data sharing). 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

I've just opened an ESRI Support case for this issue: 03192745. Will post back with the outcome. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
JaneBryden-Brown
New Contributor

Hi Lindsay, I am having the same issue. Did you get a solution?

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Not yet - still working on the issue with ESRI tech support. They might be interested in looking at your data too so will make sure they know you're having trouble too. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos
DianaKalil
Esri Contributor

Hello, This issue could be bypassed by using a shared update group, however, it depends on your Organization's members' permissions, roles, and user types. I found that when for example a Data editor is within a default group the append doesn't work as itself, it becomes multiple individual editing requests instead of appending, that's why it takes too long to load the changes. It doesn't take just one file and post it but each individual edit.

Tags (1)
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
My testing yesterday with ESRI Australia Support found the same results regarding the shared update group allowing the tool to work as expected for non-Administrators. We too couldn't add "Data Editors" to it though. They had to be a "User" type. Hopefully this bug can be addressed soon, as it surely is a bug!
Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos
JarodL_ALRW
New Contributor

Hello all, I was wondering if there'd been any update as I'm having a similar issue. A coworker and I are both Publishers in our organization, and I have shared a hosted feature layer to our group. When running a model builder tool, the append portion takes me less than a minute, but almost an hour for them. I haven't been able to find any other documentation on this issue.

Thanks for any help. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Based on Lindsay's Esri Support Case Number, I was able to find out that this is BUG-000154190 - When appending data to a feature layer in ArcGIS Pro using a Data Editor role the append tool doesn't create the append job in the background.  It is currently under review by the teams.