Annotation ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
12-15-2020 07:39 AM
Labels (1)
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, I'm missing something.  How to convert annotation make in ArcMap to annotation editable in ArcGIS Pro?

Do Esri Have a plan to update ArcMap to be able to view and edit ArcGIS Pro annotation.  Having to navigate between the two in near future it could be useful to have the two annotations synchronize.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Marcel - you can do a right-click on the Upgrade Dataset GP tool and select Batch.  Batch mode enables you to do many feature classes in one tool process.  If you want to automate it further, you can use Iterate Datasets in ModelBuilder.  Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SarahHartholt
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Marcel - you can use the Upgrade Dataset GP tool to upgrade your ArcMap annotation to be editable in ArcGIS Pro.  BUT keep in mind once you upgrade your annotation feature class to be read/write in ArcGIS Pro, it will no longer be usable in ArcMap.  You read  more about this topic here.

MarcelSt-Germain

Thanks, effectively, it's awkward not leaving compatibility in the transition. Can't find the way to do all my dataset in the database at once.  See only one dataset at a time???

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If I understand your reply correctly, you could create a copy of your annotation feature class.  One for ArcMap and one for ArcGIS Pro so you can work in both applications.  You are correct that there is no way to do this all at once in the geodatabase between ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro.  It's a forward migration path.

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

Effectively but, you have to do the works twice in annotation cleanup.  Not very useful.  For now I'm still working with two project.  One in pro one in ArcMap so, I can change my annotation and leave compatibility.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

ArcMap annotation is read-only in ArcGIS Pro.  If you don't need to edit the annotation in ArcGIS Pro, then you can leave it in the ArcMap format.  All your annotation edits are done in a single annotation feature class that is only editable in ArcMap but visible in ArcGIS Pro.  A workaround of sorts IF you don't need to edit it in ArcGIS Pro and wishing to simplify things.

0 Kudos
MarcelSt-Germain

Yes it's what I do.  For project I make upgrade dataset but, for others, work with two projects, editing in ArcMap save and see the update in Pro.  

The big problem is in upgrade dataset, you can't do all the database, at least can't find how, only one feature at a time.  It's not very fine.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Marcel - you can do a right-click on the Upgrade Dataset GP tool and select Batch.  Batch mode enables you to do many feature classes in one tool process.  If you want to automate it further, you can use Iterate Datasets in ModelBuilder.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos