2D layers not displaying in 3D Scene.

Jump to solution
07-28-2015 04:01 PM
TrippCorbin
Occasional Contributor

I have created a new project using the Local Scene project template in ArcGIS Pro 1.1. My 2D layers which I added from an existing file geodatabase are not visible in the scene. They are turned on in my Contents pane and are set to ground. If I move the layers to 3D they appear. I was not having this issue with the ArcGIS 1.1 beta version I had been using.

If I add my local DEM as an elevation surface in addition to the default world elevation used by ArcGIS Pro, the 2D layers become visible. The minute I remove my local DEM, they disappear again. I have set the elevation surface to no color and allowed navigation below surface. The 2D layers will not show up.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Tripp,

This sounds like it could be a bug.  Is your data from the file geodatabase in a PCS or GCS?  Is it points, lines, or polygons?

Also, can you please submit to tech support with your repro data so we can investigate?

Regards,

Jeremy W.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
TrippCorbin
Occasional Contributor

This behavior appears to be linked to the coordinate system. If I set the scene to use a geographic coordinate system the 2D layers appear as expected. If I set it back to a projected coordinate system, the 2D layers disappear again. I have tried multiple geographic and projected coordinate systems and the behavior appears to be consistent.

David
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Tripp,

Some of that is expected behavior. When you add 2D data to a 3D scene, it will not be displayed until it is moved under the "3D Layers" section and an elevation has been set. You have to set an elevation source for each 3D dataset so ArcGIS Pro knows where it will start drawing the dataset (on the ground, relative to the ground, on a custom elevation surface, relative to a custom elevation surface, or at an absolute height).

You will have added your DEM as an elevation surface from the 3D map properties. When you add your local DEM as an elevation source, you can remove the default (you only need one). Expand "Ground" and click the red X to clear it out. The color of the elevation surface you add doesn't matter, it's only using the elevation values.

Check out the online Help Documentation for information about setting elevation surfaces.

Pro.ArcGIS.com > Map Properties > Elevation Surfaces

TrippCorbin
Occasional Contributor

David,

Thanks for responding to my issue. However I have a question, if a 2D layer in a 3D scene should not display until it is moved to the 3D layer section how come it will display as a 2D layer if a geographic coordinate system is used by the scene but will not if a projected coordinate system is used? That seems very inconsistent. Also why even allow 2D layers in a 3D scene if they will not display? 2D layers even allow you to set their elevation which I have set to ground.

As I mentioned, I can get the 2D layers to display without issue in a 3D scene if I do the following. When using the Esri World Elevation surface, I must keep the scene in a geographic coordinate system. If I do that, all layers both 2D and 3D display as expected. Or I can use a projected coordinate system as long as I use my own ground surface. When I do that all layers display as expected.

I know many of my clients don't have their own elevation surface to fall back on. So they will be wanting to use the Esri World surface. However they will want to create scenes which use their local projected coordinate system such as State Plane or UTM. So this would seem to be a problem. 

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Tripp,

This sounds like it could be a bug.  Is your data from the file geodatabase in a PCS or GCS?  Is it points, lines, or polygons?

Also, can you please submit to tech support with your repro data so we can investigate?

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
TrippCorbin
Occasional Contributor

Jeremy

My data is in a file GDB and is in a PCS. Georgia State Plane NAD 83 West Feet to be specific. It includes points, lines and polygons.

I believe the issue along with a project file has been submitted to the development team. I also posted this issue on the Colorado GIS listserve and was contacted by Robert LeClair with Esri. He asked me to send him the information and I believe has forwarded it on. 

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Tripp,

I got the data from Robert and assigned a bug to the appropriate developer for resolution.

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Tripp, I'm just down the road here Savannah in GA State Plane East. I installed Pro today. First time using it. I am interested in using it to create surfaces for airport planning but I think I'm having the same issue you are. I just can't get any data to appear in 3D.  Just wanted to chime in, perhaps it's a Georgia thing or a State Plane PCS thing. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tripp & all, I found my issue. The projection was undefined. Make sure it is defined. Pro will not warn you like ArcMap.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Kevin,

You will get a warning if you import an MXD that has this problem.  But yeah, right now there's no UI to warn you about undefined projection data in 3d views.  Were you in Global Scene or Local Scene?

Regards,

Jeremy W.

0 Kudos