Select to view content in your preferred language

use masking functionalities with labels in ArcGIS Pro

11-03-2020 06:54 AM
Labels (1)
JulieRASSELET
New Contributor II

Hello everybody ! The masking tools with ArcGIS Pro are wonderful, but when we use labels with a masked layer, they remain displayed on the map. And we have to export them as annotations to get the result we need (and it doesn't facilitate our work).

So it could be useful to integrate the labels into the masking functions. Even if it's possible...

22 Comments
EmelieUlin

Hello, we just got into this issue.

Our issue is that the feature layer with the labels we want to use don't have a field that we can use for queries so the only option we have is masking. The layer we want to mask covers the whole area and we have another label-layer that is better in a certain area and for only that area we want only those labels.

It would be perfect if masking did not only hide the features but also the labels for those features. Using weights would be too much work because we have so many layers that are showing different labels att different scales (we're working on creating a new base map). We're using data that are updated each week so we can't clip or change the data.

AndrewWhite2

Hey all! 

I know I'm late to the party, but I wanted to share my work around. 

I am making a map series for each watershed in a state as a very basic reference map for some planners. I want things like counties and watersheds labeled regardless of position relative to the index feature from the map series, but I only want highways and rivers labelled inside the watershed we are focusing on. 

I have created my reference map, "Focus Map", which I then clip to the index feature in the map series extent properties.

I then create a duplicate map in the catalogue pane called "Background". This is similarly tied to a map series, and shares the extent of the initial focus map frame. In this map I remove all of the labels that I want removed in the external area. 

So now I have two map frames on the layout, with the focus watershed laid perfectly on top of its background twin beneath it. 

Some geographies are labeled twice (such as when a county has area inside and outside of the watershed), but cleaning these up is much easier than making label annotations for each of the feature's labels I want masked out (since I have very variable scales between watersheds). 

Obviously I think masking labels should be a built-in feature, but this is a fun work around.