Select to view content in your preferred language

Stop recreating missing geodatabases

12-16-2020 12:19 PM
Labels (1)
MicheleH1_DNReply
Occasional Contributor

It would be great if ArcPro would stop recreating missing file geodatabases.  I deliberately renamed a file geodatabase (actually a few) and I did this in File Explorer - 'cos it's faster.  Then when I reopened the project it breaks all my links (expected) but recreates an empty file geodatabase with the old name.

This is not useful - if a geodatabase is missing it's generally because of a deliberate choice on the part of the user and recreating an empty geodatabase is just creating clutter that I have to remember to clean up.

And if it's not a deliberate choice - if some one has accidentally moved or deleted the geodatabase - what is the point of recreating an empty one?  The data is still missing.

Can we have this behavior stopped - or perhaps there is a way of stopping it already?  If so - could we have this as the default.  I have users unknowingly making empty geodatabases all over the show and it's becoming a problem.

Thanks heaps.

37 Comments
SSWoodward

@RoseF 

I wish I could make my default .atbx for all projects one of the standard Esri toolboxes... maybe Data Management or something?

You can always configure ArcGIS Pro to point to the same default toolbox or geodatabse for new projects so that a new one is not created with each project or recreated after you have deleted it. 

RoseF
by

@SSWoodward can the toolbox that I point it to as default be one of the standard Esri toolboxes?

SSWoodward

@RoseF, A single toolbox somewhere on the machine or network drive can be configured as the default for all projects but the core toolboxes cannot be used as a default toolbox. 

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Open

AlfredBaldenweck

See honestly I think the creation of a bunch of ATBXs is a lot more annoying than geodatabases. 

Maybe a setting in Options that would create like one central ATBX, etc. if toggled?

DavidDurst

@RoseF and @SSWoodward, the recent traffic on this, especially from ESRI employees, is encouraging. That being said, it's starting to get side-tracked from the original idea. Can we keep the focus on ArcGIS Pro not re-creating empty geodatabases, toolboxes, and folders simply because the assigned default is missing. Some of the suggestions about assigned a organizational global default GDB and TBX are helpful, but it doesn't fix the issue of newly-created ones when opening a APRX that was created prior to assigning the global defaults. That's the real bug here, as far as I'm concerned.

SSWoodward

See honestly I think the creation of a bunch of ATBXs is a lot more annoying than geodatabases. 

Maybe a setting in Options that would create like one central ATBX, etc. if toggled?

@AlfredBaldenweck This already exists in the backstage.

Options > General > Create Project

SSWoodward_0-1707941778206.png

SSWoodward

@DavidDurst I really appreciate you keeping focus.  Yes, absolutely.  I merged these two ideas because the original ideas are the same.  I agree the conversation has broadened as we discuss strategies within the current software.  I've copied the two original ideas to show their congruency and, hopefully, to reassure you that the thread has not been lost. 

Original Idea:
"It would be great if ArcPro would stop recreating missing file geodatabases.  I deliberately renamed a file geodatabase (actually a few) and I did this in File Explorer - 'cos it's faster.  Then when I reopened the project it breaks all my links (expected) but recreates an empty file geodatabase with the old name."

Merged Idea:
"Have a setting to turn off the creation/recreation of TXT, TBX and GDB files. I delete them because they are not needed, and they reappear each time the project is opened. It's cluttering my folders with unnecessary items. "

RoseF
by

Is there a reason Esri got away from the default geodatabase (Default.gdb) being stored on the C drive? Maybe it's as simple as making that an option when we create new projects:

Do you want the default to be on your C drive or create a new one in the project folder?

And I'm assuming this option could also be for toolboxes, log files, and so on.

NaicongLi

Hello @MicheleH1_DNReply, @DavidDurst, @LynnCarlson__GISP, @JamalNUMAN, and everyone,

(This is a response to this idea thread and to  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/add-options-on-create-new-project-dialog/idi-p/928765 and https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/arcgis-pro-2-4-2-why-the-arcgis-pro-creates-gdb/idi-p....)

We have been listening to your suggestions and comments, and we understand that you have workflow disruptions connected to this aspect of the architecture of ArcGIS Pro.

We have in fact been exploring solutions for this for some time, but unfortunately haven't yet found one that would not have a negative impact on functionality, without fundamental changes of ArcGIS Pro’s architecture. From its initial design, an ArcGIS Pro project has three fundamental properties that must be specified – project home folder, project default geodatabase, and project default toolbox. They are there to ensure that when you perform an operation, the output always has some place to go, even if you did not specify the location. These requirements have been there since day one as a built-in assumption for many operations. Their absence could cause unexpected and bad behaviors in ArcGIS Pro. This is the reason why ArcGIS Pro requires their presence during the creation of a new project, and auto-regenerates them when they are lost.

We agree with you all that we need to provide more flexibility in how the default geodatabase and toolbox are handled. Some of you have proposed alternative ways to handle this, for example:

• ArcGIS Pro does not generate a default geodatabase and toolbox when creating a new project.
    • For the reasons above, this is unlikely to happen, at least not in the near future.
  • At the project creation time, allow users to specify an existing geodatabase and toolbox to be used as the project default geodatabase and toolbox.
    • This is indeed a direction that we are considering.
  • When the default geodatabase or toolbox is missing or broken (which could be made to happen when the project is closed, or while it is open, if you manipulate the default geodatabase or toolbox in File Explorer instead of in ArcGIS Pro), have ArcGIS Pro prompt the user to create or select one. It’s been suggested to have this happen on project reopening, or when a Geoprocessing tool is about to run, or when the project is being saved.
    • In all cases, this would require blocking all the operations in the UI until the default geodatabase or toolbox is restored, a state that many users would not want.

We agree with you that it is annoying to see default geodatabases and toolboxes regenerated after you deliberately deleted them in the File Explorer. We will continue to look for a good solution that would not cause major impacts on ArcGIS Pro’s operations, and we are keeping this idea thread open. In the meantime, however, given the current constraints we have, the best thing to do is to NOT manipulate default geodatabases and toolboxes in File Explorer. In fact, managing your items inside ArcGIS Pro instead of File Explorer has always been the recommended practice, even for nondefault geodatabases and toolboxes. If you want to use a different geodatabase as the project default geodatabase, please use the following workflow:

1. Add to the project the geodatabase that you want to be the default one (or create a new one). Rename it as needed.
  2. Right-click it and click Make Default.
  3. Delete, or remove the original default geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro if you do not want to use it in the project.

Use the same workflow to change the default toolbox.

One side point, in case some people are not aware of this option when creating new projects: instead of letting ArcGIS Pro create a default geodatabase and toolbox, you can designate a pre-existing geodatabase and toolbox for all new projects that you create from here on, by using the settings in the Options dialog (General tab, Create projects section). Note that you can change these settings any time and as often as needed.

Again, we are keeping this idea thread open and will continue to look for a good solution, while balancing it with our other priorities.

Thank you all for contributing your comments and suggestions.