Pasting FC into versioned FD — Automatically register FC to avoid unregistering FD

08-16-2023 12:24 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8; Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB

I have a feature dataset that is registered as versioned (with the option to move edits to base). Likewise, all of the existing FCs in the FD are versioned too (with the option to move edits to base).

I have a separate FC outside of the FD. The FC is not registered as versioned. If I copy/paste the FC into the FD, then the FD becomes automatically unversioned, because now one of its FCs is unversioned.

It causes confusion when a FD silently becomes unversioned when someone pastes/imports an unversioned FC. I'm wondering if that could be solved by automatically versioning a FC when it gets pasted into a versioned FD. Or something else/better?

Thanks.

6 Comments
ChrisUnderwood

Hello @Bud  , this is how it is working for me in the current versions, Pro 3.1.2 & Geodatabase 3.1.0-11.1

I have my Feature Dataset, Versioned + METB, containing a Feature Class also Versioned + METB. Then I Paste in another Feature Class which is not Versioned and both those Feature Classes stay as they were, resulting in an odd mix inside the Feature Dataset. The Feature Dataset then shows its Versioning status like this, neither ticked nor unticked, reflecting that mix inside it.

ChrisUnderwood_0-1692267627946.png

If I then tick the Feature Dataset's Versioning + METB box, the non Versioned Feature Class is then made Versioned + METB to match the Feature Dataset and the other Feature Class.

Or if I then untick the Feature Dataset's Versioning box, then the Versioned + METB Feature Class is unversioned to match the Feature Dataset and other Feature Class.

Does this way of working address the basis of your Idea ?

Bud
by

@ChrisUnderwood Thanks Chris. I don't have that "Manage geodatabase functionality" tab in the properties of the FD in my version of ArcGIS Pro (2.6.8). That functionality must have been added in a later version of Pro.

I also didn't realize that it's possible to have FCs with different kinds of versioning in a feature dataset. Not sure if that's relevant here or not.

I'll think it over and get back to you.

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Bud
by

@ChrisUnderwood Feel free to close. I can't test the new-ish functionality until I get an upgraded version of Pro.

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Already Offered

Thanks @Bud, I'll close the idea as already offered. 

In summary:  Dragging an unversioned feature class into a versioned feature dataset does not un-version the feature dataset.  The newly added class is not automatically versioned, but must either have versioning enabled through it's properties menu, or by navigating to the manage pane of the feature dataset's properties.

SSWoodward

Nice catch. Thanks, @Bud. I've edited it for correctness.