Select to view content in your preferred language

Make the Calculate Field GUI bigger (longer) by default.

07-07-2022 06:25 PM
Labels (1)
Marie_Ducharme
Regular Contributor

Currently, when you click the "calculate field" button to add a value in an attribute table, the GUI that opens is too short to show the box to type in the value,. See example below. The user therefore has to increase the GUI size to access the place to type or scroll down. This is rather cumbersome.  Could the GUI be made so that it opens bigger (longer) by default so that resizing the GUI every time is not necessary?

The image on the left shows the GUI as it opens, while the one on the right is after it's been enlarged to show the portion to type.

Marie_Ducharme_2-1657243265259.png

12 Comments
RichardHowe

Agree with this. Has gone backwards since ArcMap

CMV_Erik

I hadn't gotten around to requesting this yet; thanks for doing this. On my largest monitor, the dialog box launches compacted even though it's less than half the height of the Pro window. If it's not already addressed in 3.0, would be great to see it added to the roadmap. 

JonathanNeal
Status changed to: In Product Plan

We are updating the floating tool dialog window to preserve the previous size you set it to.  This is currently being tested in 3.1

Marie_Ducharme

Thanks @JonathanNeal ! That's great news. Are other floating windows also going to have size and position preserved?

JonathanNeal

@Marie_Ducharme That is the expectation, will be testing it in the 3.1 release.

DrewFlater

Just for clarification, the Calculate Field window pictured at the top is a little crowded because of the edit session banner and controls at the top of the tool. The fix in the Pro 3.1 release doesn't make the dialog bigger by default or automatically, but if you make the dialog bigger and reposition, that size will be remembered the next time you open the tool. 

SamHudson

@DrewFlater Yes that is perfect!  I want it to remember the position and size.  I am forever making that window large enough to see the import .cal files at the bottom because i have so many saved calculations.  

DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marie_Ducharme,

You asked: "Are other floating windows also going to have size and position preserved?"

Could you give some example floating windows that you care about and describe how you expect them to behave?

Other people are also welcome to comment on this. 

Thanks!

SamHudson

@DanLee Calculate Field,  Select by Attributes, Select by Location, uhhh.  Those are the ones I always open, resize then just keep them open because otherwise I have to resize them every time.

DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor

SamHudson Thanks for your comment.  So, I guess you wish each of the three floating tool dialogs to remember its own resized size and moved location every time you open it, is that correct?