Fix performance issues please

11-08-2010 03:16 PM
mattwilkie
Occasional Contributor III
There are persistent reports of many people having major performance issues with ArcGIS 10 desktop on hardware configurations that meet and beat the recommended specifications, some of them by a fair margin. Please fix quickly. We want to take advantage of the new features but the serious slow down in basic activities like editing means we are paying a serious tax in terms of our time.

Please see http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/8386-Desktop-ArcGIS-10-Really-Slow for more info.

thank you.
75 Comments
GeraldLee__GISP1
Well, i have to chime in here too. and i thought i finally had the Holy Grail of a computer for ArcGIS. A Dell Precision T7400-Windows 7-64 bit, 2.5 GHz with 64 Gig RAM--yes i said 64 Gig of RAM  with (2) Quadro Fx 1700 Video Cards, each with 512 MB RAM. Im just thankful I kept my old Dell dimension 8400 with 4 Gig RAM, thats still runs Arc 9.3.1. I have 5-10 X the productivity on a daily basis with it.
i just use the big machine for generating caches for ArcGIS Server now. what a waste..
GrahamW
After a very long day I fixed one of my performance issues...

when opening labeling or symbology.. with XP 32 bit and lots of fonts an install of ArcGIS 10 is still fast in XP x64 it's super slow(3 minutes)!

adobe reader installs about 2000 fonts which killed my performance. Now Reader is a fairly standard app that is making you system look slow... I'd recomend working around the vast amount of fonts it installs.....
darlenehawley
very slow!
MaryAnnSteinmetz
Did not have an issue with performance until we loaded sp 3. Now it takes 5 - 10 minutes for the app to load. Two or three minutes to save or just navigate the tools. VERY disappointing!! Removed the sp and which did not help.
JoelSabin
If it were up to me, I would not use ArcGIS 10, but it is not my choice.

Please make it perform as well as it did 5 years ago. 2 years ago. This is ridiculous...
TillBergmann
Clicking the file-menu and waiting 1.5 minutes, hello? Or, right now, reprojecting a point feature class in an fgdb and that takes 40 minutes already. Okay, it contains 6 million points, but this is 2012! There are some companies with that many customers, or assets, or incedents, or.... can't work with that!
ChadKupferschmid
I recently upgraded to ArcGIS 10, SP 1 and it takes 2-3 minutes for the software to load. The program crashes 2-3 times a day when I am editing. I am currently working on a map and with out labeling the map takes about 5-8 minutes to regenerate. Performance is extremely poor compared to 9.3.1.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional, SP 3
4 GB RAM
Dual Q8400 @ 2.66ghz
232 GB Hard Drive
LukeNouwens1
"Identifying and resolving defects in the software is very important to Esri and we appreciate your feedback "

Which is why bugs persist for years over multiple versions of the software.
FC_Basson
Please improve metadata load speed in ArcCatalog.
WendyFlynn
The slowness of ArcGIS 10 is not only disappointing - it makes the staff we have using GIS disgruntled and angry, and rightfully so.  No wonder GIS Divisions never gets support or funding.  PLEASE make the performance issues of ArcGIS Desktop 10 ESRI's highest priority!!!