Fix performance issues please

11-08-2010 03:16 PM
mattwilkie
Occasional Contributor III
There are persistent reports of many people having major performance issues with ArcGIS 10 desktop on hardware configurations that meet and beat the recommended specifications, some of them by a fair margin. Please fix quickly. We want to take advantage of the new features but the serious slow down in basic activities like editing means we are paying a serious tax in terms of our time.

Please see http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/8386-Desktop-ArcGIS-10-Really-Slow for more info.

thank you.
75 Comments
JeffGuy
ArcGIS 10 is the worse release I have ever seen- I have been using the software since 6.0. ESRI  Please update your software to current hardware capabilities.   Who out there is still running a 32-bit computer?  I would take a 64-bit program threading off a GPU any day  over ESRI's "Enhanced user experiences" annoyances.  Look under the hood for enhancement not the paint job.
AshleyCummings
Please improve overall performance. Jobs that should take 1 hour end up taking at least twice as long due to lag time and other issues (snapping, crashes, etc).
WoutDamiaans1
We made the migration from Win XP + ArcGIS 9.2 sp6 to Win 7 + ArcGIS10 sp1 and it's the worst decision I've ever made.

Overall improvement of the performance/stability is highly needed and much more important than new fancy functionalities!!
Opening MXD's: much slower
Just navigating through folders using ArcCatalog, Catalog Window or Add Data: 6 times slower
Search function: does not work or make system crash.
FelixBachofer
I am highly disappointed in ArcGIS 10 SP4. It is just super slow with Win7 64bit. If you just want to add a layer it takes about 20sec just to have a look in the folder. If you have to navigate through different folders it just makes you angry.
I am giving courses at university and started now to switch to OpenSource GIS because the performance is much better and the students just made jokes about ArcGIS performance. That are/were your future customers.

Another thing: in 9.x there was the possibility to use an index for the Tools in the Toolbox. You just typed in 2-3 letters and you had your desired tool. This new search is no substitute for it. ESRI, what are you doing?!?
AntonioMoniz

ArcGIS 10 SP4 on win7 64bit very slow when navigating through folders.

HarryBowman1
We also are actively working to abandon this unusable software. We use it 90% to manage some datasets in bulk and then to do address matching of about 150 million addresses. Everything is faster, more reliable, and easier, by orders of magnitude, using SQL Server directly. Only visual inspection of the data and fuzzy matching require GIS, and we are going to find other software to use. IT has built its own geocoder from scratch, out of frustration with your product.  ArcGIS 10 tabular performance is unusably bad. Our plan is to try 10.1 for a couple weeks after it comes out. If table performance is not, say, 10x better, we are going to abandon the software. I will be looking for another gig at that point, since GIS is why I was hired, but business realities are more important. Listen to your users - 1000 new features, but bugs and crummy performance, do not equal business success. The college course comment below is key - once people find other, better performing, cheaper alternatives, they will never come back. My only thought is that ESRI intends to abandon ArcGIS desktop and push everyone to do all their work via web APIs, lightweight viewer apps, and do all thinking on the server. What else could explain the spectacular bugs (Spatial Join) and performance degradations for Desktop 10.0?
HarryBowman1
donfelice - To which open source software did you switch? Does it have geocoding? We need better performance ASAP.
deleted-user-IR249IovB3CN
Performance seems to be slowing with time. ArcCatalog will not close, MXDs with only 4 shapefiles are up to 800MB in size, saving mxds takes up to 30 minutes. I'm running a Dell Precision T1500 Dual Core I7 Intel processor, 16 GB RAM, and an ATI FireProV4800 professional graphics card. This is well beyond the minimum requirements listed in the ArcGIS software requirements, which I don't think are meaningful. All data is on my local hard drive 1 TB mirrored hard drive. Unfortunately I do not have access to technical support to adequately work through the issue since I use the non-profit license.
nev
by
Just a nightmare to use. Couple of minutes to open layer properties, minute or more to open the find dialog, painfully slow to go between records in the attribute table.  I have just logged in here and written all that wating for my layer properties to come up.
There is a "fix" deleting your .mxt deleting registry entris and caches here and there but you have to do it every couple of days (and lose all you interface customisations).  For the cost of this software its pretty bad. I'm going to have to find something else to use and just use ESRI when necessary, its to frustrating.
nev
by
And just dont bother with the measuring tool.  We have staff that show maps at public forums and it is embarassing for them when someone asks how far between 2 things.  They have to say, "just give me a minute i'll get back to you on that"