Export Multiple Single PDFs By Group From ArcGIS Pro Map Series

10-27-2020 10:35 AM
Labels (1)
LeviCecil
Occasional Contributor III

I have a Map Series in which each page is a floor plan for different sites. Each site's plans are grouped by the site address. I've had a request for single pdfs from each site, where the output filename is the address. That single pdf should contain all the pages of floors from the site. I need to do this for nearly 100 sites. Currently the only way I can specify output filenames based on page number or name is to choose the "multiple PDFs" export options. If I use the address as the filename, it will create one pdf and continually overwrite each page with the same name. If I choose the single PDF export option, I have to specify the filename before the export, so I would have to do this manually for all the sites. 

Here is a screenshot with an example. I want the pdf to be named "10625 SW 35TH AVE.pdf" and contain all eight pages for the Jackson site. I want to be able to do this as a single export resulting in a single pdf (with multiple pages) for each address group

4 Comments
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

I think I understand what is being suggested here. Instead of selecting 'Single PDF' and getting one document with many pages and a file name as entered in the File path parameter, you want the document to pull the file name from the Map Series Group of the selected pages. I see this working in a way that instead of only having the 3 current options (Single PDF / Multiple PDFS - Page Name as suffix / Multiple PDFs - Page Number as suffix), you would have additional options available such as;

• 'Multiple PDFs - Group Name as suffix' (where it would export all pages in a selected Group to a single document with that groups name, and then repeat for any other selected groups)
  • 'Multiple PDFs - Group and Page Name as suffix (where each page would come out individually as per current Multiple options but with both the Group Name and Page Name in the file name. 

These options I see being particularly handy for where your Grouping function is identifying separate document areas (in our use cases a plantation) and then there are pages listed for each plantation (i.e. compartments). We want to distribute the plantation level documents to staff and file individually and currently need to merge single PDFs together if run in bulk, or export a selection of pages one plantation (Group) at a time. 

Additionally, I believe we could be given a bit more control over then naming options (i.e. where the page name/number is positioned instead of just as a suffix (i.e. as a prefix or inserted at character # in File name) but I'll post this up in a separate post (Provide more options for naming files when exporting a Map Series ). 

LeviCecil

Yes, that's exactly right. Our city mapping department has requested floor plan maps with school site addressed as PDF filenames for their 911/First Responder systems. So each site address PDF would have multiple pages from the map series denoting each floor of each building at each site. I have no way of exporting this for them at the moment. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

I was just about to suggest the free Bulk Rename Utility as a work around but I saw on my post you've already pointed it out as your current practice. We too use it to get around naming conventions that Pro can't deal with. 

LeviCecil

Is there any movement on this? I'm not only having to export the PDFs in Python, because the PDF export in Pro is still buggy, but I'm having to create another Python script to merge all these PDFs by site and set the address as the filename.