Select to view content in your preferred language

ENC - S-57

10-29-2019 12:16 PM
Labels (1)
MarcelSt-Germain
Regular Contributor

In arcmap we can view ENC S-57 format.  

Do de same in Pro.  Waiting for the S-100 is not a choice for us since now, and for many years, S-57 stay in place.

Having to maintain arcmap just for that is not easy.

77 Comments
ruslanmarmalyukov
Sorry to hear about frustrations with new software.
We also tried on some of the systems that do not have required licenses to
be able to bring both .000 files as layer and data, but we did it. There is
a big possibility that you have the unknown problem that pops up randomly
on different systems / user with installed ArcGIS Pro.
MarcelSt-Germain

@ruslanmarmalyukov 

Yes it's frustrating but now I know that S-57 Support is not implemented in 3.1.x

ESRI always want us to move to Pro but can't port basic feature cartographers need.  Also for almost 24 years ESRI give and remove and redo features we work with.

I like Pro but, buggy, slowwwwwww, and not in par with arcmap for making maps.

MarcelSt-Germain

@GuyNoll 

Hi, give a try with 3.2 (even if for production we have to go back to 3.0.1 since the pdf bug is unsolved).

Nice new features but, now even the view of s-57 not available or I lost something.

I try drag-and-dropped or add without success with 3.2 where is was working in 3.1.

So, status implemented is inaccurate.  Please make it in consideration or not but even if the viewer work with 3.2 is not the support or s-57 viewer we have on arcmap.  A big regression in Pro.

GuyNoll

Hi Marcel,

I have successfully 'drag-and-dropped' the ENC cell (US4AK3OV at U.S. Office of Coast Survey (noaa.gov)) for the portion of Southern Alaska Peninsula that I surveyed back in 2005-6, seen here in this screen grab.

GuyNoll_0-1701201862161.png

Note that I have also brought in the bathymetry from that survey, and have made the chart somewhat transparent. The SEAARE name "Cushing Bay" in the west-facing bight on the north end of Mitrofania Island was selected (clicked) to get the following popup:

GuyNoll_1-1701202041227.png

So if this is not working for you, we may need to see what ENC file you are using and determine if it has some characteristic that is not recognized by the software.

Thanks for the feedback!

Guy

MarcelSt-Germain

@GuyNoll 

Hi, I try the same US4AK3OV.

I think you use the maritime version.  Like I said, drag and drop or add give now the same result in 3.2 it's broken.  Even the simple view of all the layer like in 3.1 is no more available.

Anyway, that not the point.  We do not need the viewer of 000 file without the layers.  In arcmap, the s57 viewer give us the ability to select, inside the 000, the layer we want (depth, line contour etc.) and apply symbology, query or calculations, like letting depth show in feet.

GuyNoll

Hello Marcel,

Per " In arcmap, the s57 viewer give us the ability to select, inside the 000, the layer we want (depth, line contour etc.) and apply symbology, query or calculations, like letting depth show in feet."

This <full> capability is in the development cycle. Some is already present per below:

I am using Pro 3.2.0 Advanced without the Maritime extension. Thus the drag-and-drop should work for you as well as it does for me, and the "ENC Layer" tab will look like this, with the S-52 Symbology and layers per the right-hand side after I clicked Symbology:

GuyNoll_3-1701216625169.png

I hope this is helpful to you.

Cheers,

Guy

ruslanmarmalyukov

I do not see any problem with new ArcGIS Pro v3.2 what's relates to ENC.

You can still drag and drop the file and have some information on your ENC data and ability to change the view scale or units to display.

I did tested on our data from different regions and based on the problem with one of the ENS mentioned in these string of comments (here is a snapshot of the functionality).

ruslanmarmalyukov_0-1701267144243.png

Like I was saying while back you can create GDB with ENC based template and load your ENC data into GDB (Import S-57 cells to a geodatabase—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation) and you will have total control of the data like in ArcGIS but without symbology like you get used to, but when you load both .000 file and the nealy created GDB with ENC, you will be able to do both (view with symbology and have .gdb to query).

Now I am also thinking that you might need also in Pro make sure that you activated your pop-ups for ENC's.

ruslanmarmalyukov_1-1701267538317.png

MarcelSt-Germain

@ruslanmarmalyukov 

@GuyNoll 

Sorry by your wrong.  It's only available on Maritime extension not the basic like in arcmap).

So, still need to make two projects arcmap and Pro to check the ENC.  Maybe one day Pro will be useful to replace arcmap.

ruslanmarmalyukov

You are correct, that for process to have GDB and ENC you need Maritime, but just to view .000 file you do not.

MarcelSt-Germain

@ruslanmarmalyukov 

It was correct to have a simple (raster type) in 3.1 but, in 3.2 BASIC, it's now broken.  You can add or drag an ENC, but the result is nothing in the view.