Change Domain in ArcGIS Online via ArcGIS Pro

01-10-2017 05:30 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor

Change Domain in ArcGIS Online via ArcGIS Pro.  Currently, I can manipulate fields in AGOL with Pro, I want to be able to update domains, and their attributes in Pro for AGOL services.

24 Comments
ChrisFox

Hi Cinthia,

Domains are stored differently in hosted feature services than geodatabase feature classes. In hosted feature services every domain is defined and stored with the field. Although the domain has a name property different domains with the same name can exist in the same layer. So this is why the tool was written the way it is and asks you select the field you want to modify the domain for, rather than selecting the domain you want to modify as you would with a geodatabase. One thing you could try is run the tool 1x on a field. You can then see the result of that tool run in the Catalog pane and drag it into a new model. From model builder you could try adding a iterator to repeat for the all the fields with the same domain.

JohnMDye

This is similar to an idea I posted a while back about creating some Pro Tools to better update hosted services. Currently, it's totally possible to do via the REST Endpoints, but you need to write out the json, validate it and then post it directly to the rest endpoint.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/14878 

by Anonymous User

Update...the AGO team has given us the ability to update the domains for individual data fields within each of the feature found within a Hosted Feature Service. To access this you would need to go into the items page of your Hosted feature service, then click on the data tab, then on the right hand side change the view to fields, then choose the field you are interested within changing and then add, delete, or modify the lists.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will need to do this for every field the domain list is applied to. So this allows for the editing of the domain/lists per field, but hopefully there is still some consideration to apply a global change to the overall Hosted Feature Service similar to applying a global change within a local FGDB?

Please keep up the great work and I will take this over having to update the JSON through the REST service.

AdminNCCMA

Hi Mike, I am trying to add one name to a domain, I've tried the ArcGIS Solutions - Modify Domain option in Pro, I've tried the Rest Service URL and I've tried Data Tab option you mention above, nothing is working  I don't get an option for add, delete or modify the lists through the Data tab?

All I want to do is add 1 name and I am absolutely stumped. Any ideas?

MichaelWallace3

Is their any documentation on doing a similar operation with a referenced feature layer on portal?

Currently to have a domain change reflect in Survey123 form. I delete current feature service. I add the domain to the domain table, republish and remake the Survey123 form in Connect

by Anonymous User

Admin NCCMA,

I have been busy with the end of our field season processing and the first question would be are you the owner of the Hosted Feature Service? If you are not, then I am afraid that you would not be able to make the changing to the Domains that you are wanting to complete. It seems as though this is only available to the owner of the Hosted Feature Service. By looking at your screenshot; I would guess that you are not the owner of this service.

If you are the owner, then I am unsure why you would not be able to add in just one value to the list.

When looking at the Data tab -> Fields you should see an "Edit" option like below. You might have to approach the owner of the service.

Sorry about the delayed response.

by Anonymous User

Michael,

I do not have Portal, but I would think that you would be able to add in the domain within Survey123 Connect, but do not publish yet. Then go into the HFS and add in the domain using the above method of updating through the Fields tab of the data tab, then republish the survey, REFRESH the survey on the device, and then see if it shows up as an option. I used similar steps for updating a HFS on ArcGIS  for some of my surveys and it worked.

MichaelWallace3

Thank you for the response and support and for engineering this functionality into AGOL/Portal.

AdminNCCMA

Thanks for your reply, it turns out I was the owner of the feature service but it was created from another hosted service. Tracked back to where it was created from and was able to edit the domain there.

MartijnJansma

Is there any plan to implement this as a feature in upcoming updates?