Attributes Pane — Update common field in multiple FCs using single action

02-08-2024 11:48 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8; Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB:

Use case:

Easily update multiple FCs to ASSET_STATUS=ACTIVE if assets overlap a specific subdivision polygon.

Workflow:

Use Select By Attributes to select features in multiple FCs that intersect a subdivision polygon.

Then, update the selected features to ASSET_STATUS=ACTIVE.

All the FCs have the same ASSET_STATUS field. But as far as I can tell, there isn't a way to select multiple FCs in the Attribute Pane and then update the field to ACTIVE for all the FCs using a single action.

Bud_0-1707421202758.png

Instead, I'd need to manually update the field in each FC, one FC at a time. That's ok if there are only a couple of FCs, but if there are dozens of FCs, then that takes too much time — especially if there are lots of fields in the FC, so the user needs to navigate to the bottom of the field list each time.

Could functionality be added to the Attributes Pane (or elsewhere in the UI) that would let us update a common field in multiple FCs using a single action?

I'm aware that I could create a model or script for this. That would work, but I think this functionality should be available out of the box in the UI since it's a common workflow.

6 Comments
Scott_Harris

I know you mentioned having a dedicated way to do this in the UI, and that's a good suggestion. Until something like this is available, some suggestions:

Within the Attributes Pane , you can Copy and Paste Attributes. If you want to ensure only specific attributes that match are pasted, you need to set up Field Mapping in Editor Settings.

Scott_Harris_0-1707423159604.png

Another, possibly faster way (without having to build a script or model) is to use the Calculate Field tool in Batch mode.

Scott_Harris_2-1707423237275.png

Scott_Harris_1-1707423207482.png

Bud
by

Thanks @Scott_Harris. That helps.

MErikReedAugusta

I will heartily second this suggestion.  We currently have four classifications for our Stormwater Assets (1 point, 2 lines, 1 polygon), with further breakdowns to come in the future.

Each of these Feature Classes has a number of "boilerplate" fields that are identical across all of them, and I often find myself wanting to do the sort of operation @Bud's talking about here.  For me, it's things like setting the Basin they fall in, but the logic's basically the same.

I'll have to explore @Scott_Harris's suggestion in the meantime, but I would absolutely love a way to do this in the UI.

AmirBar-Maor

Another idea to consider without writing any scripts is using attribute Rules. They will not honor selection so they could be used when:

1. The attributes being updated can be copied from another feature they intersect
  2. Or, they can be copied between the tables based on an attributes that links them together (can be used in a SQL query to 'Filter()' the 'feature Set'.

If this is a repeatable workflow, tasks can also be used to copy attributes from one feature and apply them to features that you select, or features that are created or modified during the task.

Bud
by

One benefit of the Attributes Pane is that it only uses selected features. That reduces risk; a user can't accidentally update all features in a FC, unless all features are selected.

Whereas I'd be worried about using a batch field calculation, since the calculation would be applied to an entire FC if there isn't a selection.

Edit:

But I suppose tools like Select By Location (UI) create "selections with zero records" instead of "no selection". So maybe that reduces some of the risk. A batch field calculation would be done on a "selection of zero records" for a given FC, which would be fine since no features would be updated.

See the yellow arrow for "selection of zero records" (ArcGIS Pro 3.2.2):

Bud_1-1707509928401.png

And the Batch Field Calculator tool does indicate if each FC has a selection or not. So That's good.

Bud_0-1707510818581.png

But I still think the idea is valid: Attributes Pane — Update common field in multiple FCs using single action.

Related:

• Esri Case 03514864 - Selection of zero records: Clear selection button in Attribute Table is unavailable
  • BUG-000164132: The 'Clear' button under the Contents pane selection tab is missing when selecting zero records in ArcGIS Pro
  • BUG-000164133: The clear button is grayed out when selecting zero records and ensure consistent behavior for the clear button in ArcGIS Pro
  • Indicate in the map that a "selection of zero records" is applied
AmirBar-Maor

@Bud 

If you consider using a task here are a few things to be aware of:

1. A task can select features from different feature layers
  2. A task can 'verify' a certain amount of features are selected and prevent the user from proceeding to the next step (making sure there are no features selected, for example)
  3. A task can save a selected in one step and restore it in a subsequent step
  4. A task can clear the selection and set which layers are selectable.
  5. A task can call any command (e.g Select By Rectangle) and any geoprocessing tool.
  6. A task get get values from users and later apply them as part of a field calculation.

To learn more about tasks: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/tasks/whatistask.htm