Announcing ArcGIS Pro 1.3.1 Update

08-19-2016 11:21 AM
KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor
6 14 5,453

A new patch update of ArcGIS Pro 1.3 is now available for download from My Esri. For those running earlier versions of ArcGIS Pro, you can also update your existing ArcGIS Pro software from the in-app update notification. For details about the in-app update notification, check out the following blog: How to Apply ArcGIS Pro Software Updates.

ArcGIS Pro 1.3.1 is a targeted patch release that fixes the following issues:

• Certain large multipatch feature classes cause the Create Scene Layer Package tool to crash, or complete with missing textures (BUG-000097551).
  • ArcGIS Pro 1.3 crashes on Windows 7 machines when running the Calculate Field tool on a feature service (BUG-000097870).
  • ArcGIS Pro may crash when closing a map if its rotated after performing certain edits (BUG-000098376).
  • When aggregating data, Optimized Hot Spot Analysis only honors the number of unique input point locations rather than the actual count of points (BUG-000098380).
14 Comments
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is this patch made available through the Esri Support website for offline installation?  I tried searching for ArcGIS Pro "Patches and Updates" on the site and couldn't find this update.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Joshua, have you checked your MyEsri site, it's avaialble for download there

And just for others, if in ArcPro ont he start page, the in lower left will bring up this page for download

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I must admit, I did see the download in My Esri before posting the question.  Since this is called an "Update" and not a release, I am wondering why it isn't available through Esri Support because Esri Support can be accessed by anyone in our organization while only a small subset of people have access to My Esri to download products.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Besides the blanket statement that things are changing, my guess is because you have to have it installed from myesri before you need the update.  Since updates are always available thru the software (assuming you are connected to AGOL, and not using the concurrent license manager locally) they probably feel all can get it that way.  Otherwise the license administrator can download it to make it available.  At least this patch is only ~5 mb, vs the full package.  But I agree, that also having it available

Esri Support 1.3 

here would make sense....other which why have the search available on the support page (but the new support page may might be having growing pains yet too....so maybe it was just overlooked?)

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Overlooked implies there was planning, at least in my mind.  I don't necessarily think anyone is looking holistically at these types of issues, the right hand of the ArcMap team doesn't know what the left hand of the Pro team is doing, so one releases patches and updates on Esri Support and the other in My Esri.

NickFrunzi
Esri Contributor

vin1o1

KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Hi Joshua! Thanks for your questions. I can elaborate more on our plans for updating and releasing ArcGIS Pro, now and moving forward. As mentioned above, there are two ways to update ArcGIS Pro and both are benefits of staying current on maintenance:

• All users with a current Named User AGOL account have access to the in-app update notification mechanism
  • Downloads for major releases, minor and patch updates can all be accessed by folks with permissions to My Esri

We're aware that there might be cases where an organization opts to control updates, preventing end users from downloading and installing updates from the in-app notification-- at which point those with access to My Esri can download the update and push it out to the rest of their users. Downloading updates from My Esri is also the intended workflow for those with concurrent use licensing.

There are no plans to make ArcGIS Pro updates available on the Support website at this time. I hope this helps to clarify our plans. Thanks again!

Best,

Kirsten

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Kristen, thanks for the clarification.  A couple of comments:

• The clarification you provide is helpful, for those visiting and searching for this topic on GeoNet.  The best place to post Esri's stance on ArcGIS Pro updates is on the Esri Support website, where customers have been conditioned to look for patches and updates for more than a decade.
  • If ArcGIS Pro updates and patches are not going to be released to Esri Support, it might be good to update the dialog box/filters to reflect that fact.  Providing filter choices for ArcGIS Pro and Updates and Patches gives the strong impression ArcGIS Pro patches and updates will be available on the site.
KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Thanks again for your feedback Joshua. We're looking into getting your points addressed on the Support site. I will be sure to loop back when I have an update. 

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The in-app update capability is not viable for us as the vast majority of our users do not have administrative access to their machines. For that reason we have disabled the update capability by tweaking the registry key at install time.  Here's the help link to the same information in the blog post Kirsten linked:

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/arcgis-pro-installation-administration.htm

AndrewWilson99
Occasional Contributor

In the past, the standard Esri method for identifying versions with build number was a "Major.Minor.Patch.Build" template, with the "Patch" being optional and the "Build" incrementing with, um, each build.  While the FAQ: What are the build numbers for releases of ArcGIS Pro? *looks* good, what I see with Microsoft, Tivoli EM and other applications is that they don't display the updated software as a different build:

Listing of ArcGIS Pro 1.3.1 in "Programs" listing

Traditionally, Esri has incremented the last four digits regardless of the variable versioning put in front of it (yes, 9.3 SP1 and the QIPs were aberrant but identified as such).   This worked, was known and was generally simple enough.   Does this release ring in a new era for Esri's rules for identifying versions through build numbers or is it just a crossed wire?

JohnSeagrave
New Contributor II

This patch failed to install; first from upgrade option in the app. Next, copied the .msp to local drive, still gives permission error despite showing full control of that directory:

Error text: 

"C:\Users\jseagrave\AppData\Local\Programs\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\DADFLib.dll. Verify that you have access to that directory" .

I do have access.

Please advise.

thanks

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Linking to https://community.esri.com/groups/arcgis-for-desktop-installation-support?sr=search&searchId=45a89d9... 

Permissions are just one reason for a file write to fail. I would look for cramped temp space (do a little cleanup), restart, do a repair install of Pro, then try to install the patch again.

AndrewWilson99
Occasional Contributor

Bounce.

No response yet about the haphazard build numbering in ArcGIS Pro sub-dot version.  

At this point I can only guess that like Rebecca Strauch, GISP suggests, that this is just another "overlook" and we can hope that in the future releases the version control will revert to the 90% standard that has been used in the past by Esri - the build number increments in addition to the version numbers.

Would submitting this as an ArcGIS for Ideas (Follow a consistent build number scheme) have better results?