Select to view content in your preferred language

Select Points that are not covered by lines

Jump to solution
02-25-2022 01:05 PM
chadhickman
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a way to easily select Points within the Parcel Fabric that are not covered by lines?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

My current understanding of the requirement: select points that are not used by any connections lines, not used by any parcel type lines, and not used by any historic parcel type lines. Depending on the subsequent action, control points may also need to be excluded from the resulting set.

When I first tried this on Friday I found this is not as easy to do in a map with multiple parcel types. In working on this again today, I found the following approach worked:

1. Select all points in the points layer. If you want to exclude control points from the final selection then start by only selecting points that are not control.
  2. for each line layer (connection lines, parcel type lines, historic parcel type lines) use the Select By Location to remove from the selection, using following the approach. Press Apply after each layer to keep the dialog up:

SelectOrphanPointsByLocation001.png

This could also be automated via python scripting.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

I have not seen an integrated tool to do this. 

I usually use select by location and go through each line type to find points that don't fall on a line.

It would be nice to see something built in!

TimHodson
Esri Contributor

@chadhickmanThis is a good candidate for the Parcel Fabric Ideas board

Thanks, Tim

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chad,

There is a very simple way - use Select By Location.

I have used the parcel polygons layer because it is smaller and the "Boundary Touches" method.

AmirBarMaor_0-1645990783088.png

It took 6 seconds on a layer with 43K parcels

AmirBarMaor_1-1645990856426.png

It selected the correct points:

AmirBarMaor_2-1645990904688.png

Is this easy enough?

TimHodson
Esri Contributor

My current understanding of the requirement: select points that are not used by any connections lines, not used by any parcel type lines, and not used by any historic parcel type lines. Depending on the subsequent action, control points may also need to be excluded from the resulting set.

When I first tried this on Friday I found this is not as easy to do in a map with multiple parcel types. In working on this again today, I found the following approach worked:

1. Select all points in the points layer. If you want to exclude control points from the final selection then start by only selecting points that are not control.
  2. for each line layer (connection lines, parcel type lines, historic parcel type lines) use the Select By Location to remove from the selection, using following the approach. Press Apply after each layer to keep the dialog up:

SelectOrphanPointsByLocation001.png

This could also be automated via python scripting.

AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@chadhickman 

Can you please describe the reason (use-case) behind this selection exercise?

Thanks,

Amir

0 Kudos
chadhickman
Occasional Contributor III

Amir and Tim,
Thank you very much for your response!

The reason we need to identify uncovered ‘Points’ is that throughout our migration process many of our parcels have lost coincidence, causing misalignment between parcels and creating unwanted ‘Points’. I have also noticed that many of our PLSS lines are not true two-point lines, which is also creating unwanted ‘Points’.

In response, I created a ‘Task’ that will help to rectify the issues above. It recreates the PLSS lines, making sure they are true two-point lines and are coincident. At the end of the process, I am looking for an intuitive method to identify ‘Points’ that are no longer covered by lines and need to be deleted so they do not cause misalignments moving forward.