Select to view content in your preferred language

How do you add a parcel type to a parcel fabric that is published on portal?

05-17-2024 11:21 AM
MDB_GIS
Occasional Contributor III

I want to start keeping track of subdivision phases and boundaries in our parcel fabric. It is already published to the portal. I can't figure out how to add a new parcel type, however. There doesn't seem to be a way to do it on the portal version, so I figured that meant it needed to be done on the enterprise geodatabase side. 

I stopped the service in portal, and ran the add new parcel type tool, but it tells me that I can't add a non-versioned feature class to a dataset with a versioned topology.

So next, I unregistered the dataset as versioned and ran it again. 

This time, I got the dreaded Error 999999. So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do from here. Any advice?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor

Hi Matthew,

There's a somewhat hidden option that needs to be handled before adding the parcel type to an already published fabric. In the Server Manager > Parameters page, uncheck the Lock Database Schema option. Here are the steps I would suggest if the service is currently at its original starting point.

1. Go to Server Manager > Parameters and uncheck the Lock Database Schema Option
  2. Click save and restart (this is a service level change that requires restarting)
  3. Run the Add Parcel Type geoprocessing tool
  4. Register the feature dataset as branch versioned again.
  5. Add all the new feature classes to the map you want to publish
  6. Share the map by overwriting the existing published service (or publish a new service)
  7. Re-check the Lock Database Schema option
  8. Restart the service again

Let me know if that helps.

0 Kudos
MDB_GIS

Unfortunately I am still getting Error 999999. Here is what I did. 

1. The service was already stopped so  I went into the parameters and unchecked 'Lock Database Schema'

2. I started the service. 

3. I disabled versioning on the Parcel Fabric dataset. 

4. I right clicked the fabric in the engerprise geodatabase > Manage > Add Parcel Type and used the name "Subdivisions"

This was the result:

MatthewBeal_0-1715971331152.png

Did I miss a something? 

0 Kudos
MDB_GIS

Welp. A bit embarrassing as it was an obvious error on my part in hindsight. While the feature dataset connection was set to branch versioning, the database connection file was set to traditional versioning. We are currently in a transition phase to portal, so we are in a mixed versioning environment. I thought that dataset level version setting was what mattered, but obviously not. Thank you for your help!

MDB_GIS

New question. Is there a way to publish the service so that it doesn't need to be reconfigured in existing maps? 

When I go to overwrite it, it changes the layer ID number to something different than what was originally published. I have manually changed all of the numbers to match what it originally was and added on the subdivisions to the end, but I'm getting  new message in the analyze window:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/analyzer-warning-messages/24171-enabling-uniqu...

That, to me, sounds like proceeding with publishing this could potentially mess up the existing service that I have out there. I'd like this to be seamless if possible. 

0 Kudos
KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor

Hi Matthew,

You'll want to ensure that during publishing, the "Allow assignment of unique numeric IDs" option is checked. From Pro, that option is in the map properties

KenGalliher1_0-1715984237064.pngKenGalliher1_1-1715984730623.png

When analyzing the publishing of the service, this unique ID option is flagged as an error unless the following option is unchecked.

KenGalliher1_2-1715984991671.png

0 Kudos
MDB_GIS

That option is checked for me. It specifically references the related table ID and makes it sound like there is a problem with me manually changing the numeric IDs. But I can't just overwrite with the new layer, because that would break maps that used that layer, right?

KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor

Hi Matthew,

When the option is checked, the layer IDs should never change. Let me know if you're seeing something different.

On the other hand, if you uncheck the "Ensure map is set to allow assignment of unique IDs" option, you then have the ability to assign your own

Assign layer IDs—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

To answer your question: 

But I can't just overwrite with the new layer, because that would break maps that used that layer, right?

Yes, it would be possible that maps and any scripts or custom applications that rely on a specific layer ID could break.

0 Kudos