Select to view content in your preferred language

Associating administrative boundaries and township grid layers with a Record or not?

Jump to solution
10-10-2023 03:24 PM
Labels (2)
Heather_Campbell
Occasional Contributor

I'm looking to migrate several parcel fabric types into the Pro parcel fabric. For some parcel types (e.g., Cadastral Lots), the Records associated with these features is obvious (i.e., their associated survey plans). However for other parcel types - large administrative boundaries and township grid layers in particular - there doesn't appear to be an obvious Record to associate with them.

Can these types of features be managed in the Pro parcel fabric without being associated with a Record? I wonder about this because there is a "Must Have Record" rule for all parcels that this would violate. In other parcel fabric migrations, what's the standard for managing these 2 kinds of parcel types (admin boundaries and grid layers)? I want to make sure I'm following best-practices.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

There are 2 options:

Any system attribute rule can be modified. You can modify the rule 'MUST HAVE A RECORD' to always return  'true' for these specific parcel types.

However, I would recommend creating a record called 'Unknown', 'CAD NSDI', or 'BLM' and associating them to the parcels at hand. Why? In the future, you might have a valid source for these parcel types and it would be easy to distinguish between parcels that have no record (CreatedByRecord IS NULL) and those that are associated with the 'Unknown' record.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

There are 2 options:

Any system attribute rule can be modified. You can modify the rule 'MUST HAVE A RECORD' to always return  'true' for these specific parcel types.

However, I would recommend creating a record called 'Unknown', 'CAD NSDI', or 'BLM' and associating them to the parcels at hand. Why? In the future, you might have a valid source for these parcel types and it would be easy to distinguish between parcels that have no record (CreatedByRecord IS NULL) and those that are associated with the 'Unknown' record.

0 Kudos
Heather_Campbell
Occasional Contributor

That's great. Thank you so much for your insight!

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For our administrative boundaries, we actually draw up individual pieces of an administrative area per annexation so that any given piece can be tied to its annexation ordinance.

For townships and the like, it feels a bit stranger, but they do have a record associated with them, if you can track down the Federal act or what have you that officially established those features. As @AmirBar-Maor  mentions, you might actually find these sources someday, so leave room to actually include them and just put in a placeholder for now.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Heather_Campbell
Occasional Contributor

That's great to know. Thanks so much for sharing!

0 Kudos