Select to view content in your preferred language

Merge Boundaries and SLACA should have option to process circular arcs

09-12-2023 08:21 AM
NickN
by
Occasional Contributor

I came across this while trying to tackle orphaned points in the fabric. There's two scenarios that made it appear as if both of these tools were not working at all.

1. A densified curve made up of a bunch of short features
  2. A densified curve made up of a bunch of short segments (but a single feature)

In situation #1 Merge Boundaries appeared to not work because the short features were already arcs themselves.

In situation #2 SLACA appeared to not work because all or some of the segments were also already arcs. If just one of the many segments was an arc, SLACA would not work.

The documentation for both Merge Boundaries and SLACA indicate that they do not modify existing arcs (or other curves) which explains why this was happening. I'm assuming the reason for these already being curves is either a legacy issue or something that happened during migration to the Fabric.

To help fix these issues, I think there should be an option within both of these tools to process existing arcs and either include them in the algorithm or process them as if they were just two-point straight lines.

Examples

Scenario #1 - These are already individual arcs. Merge Boundaries will not do anything for these, so the tool appears to not work. The tool works properly after either running Densify on the features or manually changing them to 2-point straight lines.

NickN_0-1694530310193.png

After running Densify, then Merge Boundaries, I get the expected single feature with densified vertices, and the orphaned parcel points are automatically removed.

NickN_1-1694530632869.png

Scenario #2 - similar to #1 except we've already got a single feature, but each segment is an arc:

NickN_2-1694530898258.png

Running SLACA on this results in no change. Workaround is the same, either densify the line or manually set segments to straight lines, then run SLACA. After which we get the expected result:

NickN_3-1694531107747.png

Another issue with these workarounds is you have to do this for all lines and polygons affected (for polys it's probably easier to shrink/reconstruct)

3 Comments
AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Planned for ArcGIS Pro 3.3

TimHodson

For scenario #1 there is a solution coming in ArcGIS Pro 3.3.

For scenario #2, it is also in the product plan, but may not make it into the 3.3 release.

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.3