Select to view content in your preferred language

Flagging Orphan Points in Fabric

09-08-2023 01:09 PM
NickN
by
Occasional Contributor

As we work to clean up legacy issues in our Fabric, sometimes we're redrawing curves or using SLACA, but this leaves behind the old densified points. Back in the before times there was a tool to deal with orphaned points but currently that doesn't exist in Pro.

So, I'm here for another sanity check. If I select all the points then use the Select By Location tool to remove from the selection points that intersect any of the <Fabric_Parcel_Type>_Lines (including historic) and the Connection Lines, at the end all I should be left with is orphaned points selected.

So, I do that and I end up with about 2500 out of 150k points selected as orphaned. For now I'm just going to flag them so I can inspect them, but does this workflow seem correct?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@NickN 

If you have densified curves that have a lot of points on each vertex you should first run the geoprocessing tool 'Merge Collinear Parcel  Boundaries. This tool will remove unnecessary parcel points.

Then you should run the Simplify By Straight line and Circular Arc tool (AKA 'SLACA') to generate a true curve.

Regardless, we are working on new capabilities to identify 'orphan points'. 

Don't forget that it is valid in certain cases to have 'orphan points'. Those could be points that are used as control points, for example, or points that have been found in the field but aren't connected to any parcel boundary in your system of record (e.g. an iron rebar).

NickN
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Amir,

We have parcel points that are actual control marked as such, so those would already be filtered out.

As for the Merge Collinear Parcel Boundaries, thank you for reminding me that works with curves. That forced me to read the documentation closer and I noticed the little tidbit "If parcel boundaries are true curves, the lines are ignored." This made me realize why the tool appeared to not be doing anything, the little segments were all arcs already.

How do I handle that situation? I could use the Densify tool which "un-arcifies" lines then run SLACA, but is that the most efficient way?

Thanks,

Nick

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes - the Merge Collinear Parcel Boundaries tool does not process true curves.

I guess that could be an enhancement  - could you submit an idea for that?

0 Kudos