Select to view content in your preferred language

Divide Tool Feature Template or Inherit Original Parcel Attributes

05-17-2024 01:55 PM
LucasBeauchamp
New Contributor III

It would be really convenient if the divide tool had options to use feature templates or inherit the original features attributes (like the merge tool). Our fabric has parcel type subtypes and each time I divide a polygon it resets the attributes and therefore doesn't show up in any of layers due to the subtype definition queries. I then have to go turn on a no def query layer (which takes forever to draw) then I can assign it the correct subtype and then it will show up again. But then I also have to attribute it from scratch. If the tool were able to use feature templates or inherit the original parcel's attributes this would save me so much time.

10 Comments
anna_garrett

this has been my workaround:

create record for the subdivision

assign all relevant existing parcels to it

sketch new parcels or complete a divide

go to the record menu, click "select features in active record". the parcels lacking a subtype will show up in the attributes menu and you can define them a lot easier than popping your definition query on and off.

this isn't ideal and tbh I'd love to have a more elegant solution

LucasBeauchamp

Hmm that could work sometimes. The main issue with that for me is that it will select dozens of parcels of different subtypes assigned to that record most of the time. A more elegant solution would be great.

JasonCamerano

Hey @LucasBeauchamp 

Can you explain a little more on what's happening?  I tested this right now and I have a parcel type that has a subtype set on the Polygon layer.  When I divide the polygon all the children parcels that are created are the same subtype of the parent parcel. Also, what version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

LucasBeauchamp

Sure. First off while I called them subtypes they're not truly set up as subtypes. This was an intentional decision made for our data though I can't remember the specifics on why. So really I have just one parcel type with an attribute of TYPE that we then set definition queries on layers to display separately.

In this example I'm trying subdivide an aliquot part into 2 pieces. I have already modified my lines with the COGO data from the survey plat and I'm trying to use the divide tool to break it into 2 pieces then use the shrink to seed and reconstruct from seed tools to then align the polygons with the lines.

LucasBeauchamp_0-1716323547295.pngLucasBeauchamp_2-1716323666288.png

My parcel with the lines with the TYPE attribute set to PLSS Second Division

LucasBeauchamp_1-1716323599893.png

My divide setup

LucasBeauchamp_3-1716323812221.png

After the divide the parcels no longer show

LucasBeauchamp_5-1716323973978.png

In my parcel with no definition query they are still there and now I have the historic parcel (attributed correctly and still having the type field populated) and the two divided parcels but with the type field now NULL

LucasBeauchamp_7-1716324156422.png

Historic Parcel Attributes

LucasBeauchamp_8-1716324203936.png

Divided parcel attributes

I actually just noticed that its many fields that lost their data but not all of them

LucasBeauchamp_0-1716326193979.png

LucasBeauchamp_3-1716326427171.png

Before Divide

LucasBeauchamp_2-1716326402397.png

After Divide

JasonCamerano

@LucasBeauchamp 

Would you be able to send me that small subset of data?  I can then test it out internally and see what's happening?

Thanks

LucasBeauchamp

Difficult for us to share data due to IT restrictions but I had a go. Let me know if you get it.

JasonCamerano

@LucasBeauchampI see the issue with your data.  I think it's a bug.  I'll have developers look into why it's happening. 

Thanks!

JasonCamerano

@LucasBeauchamp 

Scratch that... this is actually "by design".  I fall into this trap constantly and I wish that Domains weren't set up like this by default.  I noticed in your data all the fields that had domains were what failed to come across when Dividing.

To fix this go and edit your Domain; right click any layer --> data design --> Domains

Then find the domains you want (probably all of them) and switch the split policy from DEFAULT to DUPLICATE.  This will then fix the problem you are having. 

JasonCamerano_0-1716490149354.png

LucasBeauchamp

@JasonCamerano Yes I was actually just on a call were that got brought up. I still think the ability to set it up to use feature templates would be extremely valuable for those situations where you want to set specific attributes but this covers the inherit parent attributes part of this idea.

JasonCamerano

@LucasBeauchampIt could get very cluttered and confusing when it comes to setting templates and attributes in that pane when there is a 1 to many relationship.  With Merge it makes more sense because we know only one feature is being created as it's a many to one operation. 

If we were to introduce the attribute/template options on divide it would have to be an all or nothing approach, like you would be applying the template/attributes to all the features that are created by the divide.  I think just using the Attribute pane after the Divide is a better approach as everything would be selected after the Divide and you can set values to all the divided features one each feature individually. 

However, I could see that having the ability to use a template or not could possibly be done if you omit having the attribute table like what is in merge. 

JasonCamerano_0-1716501202428.png

Having just that could be something but that would be a change the Editing team would need to look at as we are just using their tool.