ZoomIn/ZoomOut with Mouse Wheel in ArcGIS Online and ArcMap

05-28-2010 10:21 AM
NadeemShaukat
New Contributor II
In ArcMap, ESRI has ZoomIn with backward motion of mouse wheel and ZoomOut with forward motion,  opposite to what's in Google Earth. Now, ESRI is following the Google Earth path in ArcGIS Online maps.

ESRI should be consistent at least within it's own domain and be consistent in all of its applications. If ESRI is going to follow Google Earth in ArcGIS Online, it should change to the same pattern in ArcMap.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
Sorry about the issue. We chose not to change the default direction logic used by ArcMap at 10 because it already had its own precedent but you can change the setting yourself:

ArcMap and ArcGlobe 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1: Tools pulldown menu > Options dialog General tab
ArcMap 10: Customize pulldown menu > ArcMap Options dialog General tab
ArcGlobe 10: Customize pulldown menu > ArcGlobe Options dialog General tab

Starting at 9.3 in that same dialog you can also choose whether the zoom is centered on the middle of the display or on the current cursor location.
0 Kudos
CaseyBentz
Occasional Contributor II
Sorry about the issue. We chose not to change the default direction logic used by ArcMap at 10 because it already had its own precedent but you can change the setting yourself:

ArcMap and ArcGlobe 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1: Tools pulldown menu > Options dialog General tab
ArcMap 10: Customize pulldown menu > ArcMap Options dialog General tab
ArcGlobe 10: Customize pulldown menu > ArcGlobe Options dialog General tab

Starting at 9.3 in that same dialog you can also choose whether the zoom is centered on the middle of the display or on the current cursor location.

Just because something is precedent doesn't make it correct.  It just means you are wrong, and know it, and it should be fixed.  Literally, no one thinks the way ArcMap does it is the correct way.  Why would anyone think scrolling forward would zoom them out?  Talk to your UX people, they might have an opinion on this.  I drink out of the top of my coffee mug not the bottom, I heat the BBQ before I put the steaks on not after, I pull the TP from the front not the back, I zoom my maps by scrolling in not out.  These things make sense.
0 Kudos
AndyWitt
New Contributor II

Laying down the law. Preach!

0 Kudos
RickPitcher
New Contributor
Thanks for the leg-up on that one!: FINALLY, something is ANSWERD!
0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

Well the work around this issue literally takes 5 secs, and since they have been using this schema since the beginning so many users are used to it. Changing the default now would be awkward for many of them, if you want it to be inverted change it yourself and consume 5 secs of your time. 

0 Kudos